The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Subwoofer instead of stop light on the rear windshield

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Subwoofer instead of stop light on the rear windshield

Guys,

I saw, that on one of the new models of BMW they decided to put some kinda small subwoofer at the place where usually the stop light stays, somewhere around here (not my car):

You guys think this can be realized on a Galant, not like a powerful sub, but something that would improve the sound in the coupe, like a more modern surround sound or something

link for the "Bang & Olufsen" system in the new 6 BMW series

I think this can be interesting...

In order to mount a sub you will need to cut an opening in the rear deck, both the metal and top cover. The magnet will only obstruct the trunks tension bars limiting how it opens and closes, so for the PITA it is going to be you might as well go with a powered sub in the trunk.

The BMW you saw with that had an audio system that was designed that way. They either put the third brake light on the roof in the upper part of the rear windshield rather than lower like on the G, or its on the trunk. Either way here in the U.S by law cars manufactured after 1986 are to have a third brake light, and I'm thinking where you are it's no different.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Either way here in the U.S by law cars manufactured after 1986 are to have a third brake light, and I'm thinking where you are it's no different.
    Exactly. OP wants to sacrifice safety for more bass? Ridiculous idea.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Um...that is a FRONT center channel not rear sub that replaces the rear high mount stop light (which would be illegal in the states, and likely all over Europe also. BMW and Bang & Olufsen aren't going to design something that illogical either.

Stock 99-01 GTZ doesn't have a 3rd brake light but uses the spoiler light in its place. that's an option if you go that route but eliminating the light completely is a bad idea.

yea i was gunna say you can put the light on your spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Um...that is a FRONT center channel not rear sub that replaces the rear high mount stop light (which would be illegal in the states, and likely all over Europe also. BMW and Bang & Olufsen aren't going to design something that illogical either.
    LOL I didn't see the link before. Dave FTW!

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    Stock 99-01 GTZ doesn't have a 3rd brake light but uses the spoiler light in its place. that's an option if you go that route but eliminating the light completely is a bad idea.
    As does the 02-03 GTZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

is it really illegal to not have a 3rd brake light? i took mine out like 8 years ago and never had a problem.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

anywhere in the world you need a 3rd brake light,either high stop as they say.. as for the rear parcel tray subwoofer,the JDM Galants have a portion ready for a 8" sub to fit in and wont obstruct anything,and wont need to cut anything excpet the fabric tray if yours didnt come with one then get a Mitsi Diamante or so and take their sub grille and use that and way you go...
    www.qcustoms.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by qcustoms View Post
    anywhere in the world you need a 3rd brake light,either high stop as they say.. as for the rear parcel tray subwoofer,the JDM Galants have a portion ready for a 8" sub to fit in and wont obstruct anything,and wont need to cut anything excpet the fabric tray if yours didnt come with one then get a Mitsi Diamante or so and take their sub grille and use that and way you go...
    Just one more reason to hate USDM and be envious of JDM designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Arro View Post
    As does the 02-03 GTZ.
    No, they all have the rear high mount stop light from 02-03. 02 GTZ's did not come from Mitsubishi with a rear spoiler, and they left it for 03.

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    is it really illegal to not have a 3rd brake light? i took mine out like 8 years ago and never had a problem.
    Yes, it is illegal to not have a functioning high mount stop light. It is smaller and may not be noticed by some people, but it was in place since 1985 for added safety.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I remember a while back (07-08 maybe), there was a guy on here with a 9G who did this mod. He cut out a square in the rear deck and built a box to house a 10" JL W3 IIRC. Then strapped it all in somehow. If you try searching you might find it...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Banned
    I too removed my inside 3rd brake light after a can exploded it.. No issues. I have a spoiler though so still 3 lights coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by AktionCat View Post
    I too removed my inside 3rd brake light after a can exploded it..
    I don't get it?