The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: keeping the car cool in the summer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

keeping the car cool in the summer

I'm looking for mods to keep my car running cooler in the summer. When the car is moving, the temperature is fine ~210 or so. In fact, the faster I go, the cooler the water temps are.

However, when im sitting in standstill traffic with the AC on 2 or 3 setting, the temp is ceeping past 225* When it gets that hot, I shut the AC off and have to roll down my windows. Im scared of it climbing any higher.

After I shut the AC off, the temps are back to ~215, which is fine.

I recommend replacing the thermostat to start.

aftermarket fans

Car already has 2 fans. Aftermarket fans wont push more cfms than my current setup.

The thermostat wont lower the temps. It just opens sooner. but by 200*, my oem fully open already anyway. Temps keep climbing even after the t-stat is fully open.

Something is being restricted when you are at idle. It may not be the thermostat, but it is a cheap and easy thing to do, just to be sure. I think that you know this already though. Just a idea to start with.

my car runs at 205 allday as well, and with the ac on it about 220 till i start moving... i think ur fine, are u running straight water or antifreeze?

I have the same issue, and i'll be flushing everything and replacing the t-stat and possibly hoses. I'll let you know.
    -Andrew

u sure it isnt something with the turbo setup causing the temps to be higher?

What about rad cap?

I run straight water with water wetter made by redline i think. and i never have seen 220 at all maybe 215 at hottest

i do have a 50/50 mix. I could do a flush to 70/30 and add some water wetter and see how that does.

try useing full strength anti with a 1 gallon of water

dont use 50.50

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    try useing full strength anti with a 1 gallon of water

dont use 50.50
    No! Do not do that anti freeze by nature is extremely corrosion by nature and it does not hold or dissapate heat well. The point of the antifreeze is to as its name suggests is to prevent the water from freezing. Yes it does assist in cooling but not as much as one would think. I run cooler with straight water and nothing else than a 50/50 or even 70/30.

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    U run full anti and then fill up the rest with water and never had an issue stays cool

«Carlos»

Always done 50/50 never had an overheating problem, and mind you I live hotter temps than any of you.

100% Water = Corrosion and rust, boils and evaporates.

70/30 = I don't have the time to sit there measuring shit.

50/50 = no overheat, haven't had water pump problems, no thermostat problems, no radiator issues or coolant leaks, and the needle is always under 50% temp.

I am also turbo and that adds a lot of heat to the engine bay.

You're supposed to used distilled water instead of tap water so it doesn't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post

70/30 = i don't have the time to sit there measuring shit.

lol this

If you look at a bottle of antifreeze it says to use DISTILLED water, exactly as stated to prevent corrosion. You can run straight water with water wetter in a car year round, as long as the temps where you are at never get below 40 degrees. For cooler climates a 70/30 af/water mixture will work effeciently for your average climate in the United States your ideal mixture is 50/50. Don't buy the premixed stuff at the parts store if you are flushing the entire system, its a waste of moneey. Buy your antifreeze and wetter from the parts store, go to the grocery store and get a gallon of distilled water and you are ready to go. If 50/50 doesn't work with wetter in it to keep your temps proper you may have to look mechanical for the problems. To me it sounds like your overheating issue could be a water pump issue. As the pumps age they do not flow as well as they are supposed too. Don't know how old your pump is but it may be time to replace/upgrade... especially since you are boosted.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

Water Wetter FTW!

Qnz, do you have exhuast wrap around the manifold and down pipe past the subframe? I did that, used alot of it, when I'm sitting in traffic, or driving hard, the temp remainds the same, about middle, a little lower than that, BUT I'm a manual, and I know that the auto has the tranny cooler lines that go to the bottom of the radiator, so I wonder if thats not helping the issue as well

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast