The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: This Is 4 Anyone who wants to paint their int. (tutorial)

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

This Is 4 Anyone who wants to paint their int. (tutorial)

well heres what i did. and Yes you gotta sand... its the only way the paint sticks

1. Took apart everything.

2. Sanded everything with aluminum oxide sandpaper (1st w/ 150 grit then w/ 220 grit). you can find this paper at your local Home Depot its like 97 cents a pack.

3. Went to Wal-Mart and got 2-3 cans of primer, 6-8 cans of white (or the color you prefer), and 10-12 cans of clear. i got the 94 cent Wal-Mart brand of spray paint.

4. After sanding everything smoothly, i applied an even coat of primer. one coat of primer should do it per piece. ******Give the primer at least 20 minutes to dry. if you are really patient give it 1-2 hours.

******WHEN APPLYING PAINT DO SEVERAL THIN COATS, NOT ONE THICK COAT. BELVIEVE ME, IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE. ALSO REMEMBER THAT THE PAINT WILL NOT BE FULLY DRY! IF YOU TOUCH IT EITHER IT WILL SMEAR OR YOU LEAVE FINGERPRINTS, THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT 24 HOURS BEFORE YOU CAN SAND IT OUT!!!!! *******

5. Now you can apply whatever color you want. As i stated before use several thin coats. if you want you can even sand lightly between coats (preferably between coats 3 and 4 - - - -BUT - - - - if you do this you have to let the paint dry for at least 24 hours or you'l f--- it up). Normally i put AT LEAST 6 - 8 coats of the colored paint.

*****ALSO BE SURE TO BUY FLAT PAINT NOT HIGH OR SEMI GLOSS.****

6. This part is a must..... Wait 24 to 36 hours to be sure that the paint is cured totally before can really touch it as if were manufactured that way. then you can apply the clear coats. The clear coats give it that super glossy look, it also makes it easier to clean. i put at LEAST 8- 10 coats on.

7. Put everything back together. It should take about a 3-5 days to complete the whole process. it took me 6-7 days. Remember to be patient. if you rush, others will be able to tell... take your time and you will get show quality work........ GOOD LUCK!!!!!

If you got anymore questions hit me up... hope this helped.... peace.... Calie

oh and if you want to dye the vinyl on the dash there is a dye spraypaint called SEMS... i heard about it today and i hear it's great! you can use it to dye both vinyl and plastic with no chips, fades, cracks, peeling or anything else. you could ask your local auto upholstery shop if they carry it or surf the net. Im gonna do the most touched and most abused interior part with this stuff so i dont gotta worry about the chipping and stuff.... becuz <span style='color:blue'>its a DYE not a PAINT!!!!! </span>

click this to see mine.... no done thou.... will post more soon

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cornbreadcornfe...rc=ph%26.view=t

<span style='color:red'>Disclaimer: IF YOU F&^% UP, DON'T BLAME ME. I NEVER TOLD YOU TO DO THIS. Have a great day.</span>
    Are you mankind or kind of a man?

nice tutorial, calie - useful, eh!

good shit
    Semper Fi'

damn thats nice,, u are made it professtion,, and me here did it getto style,,i just painted w/o sand paper or prime or anything

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

luxcrusr2000
    To back up what Calie said, PATIENCE is the key!! I've tried to rush mine and as a result I'm doing it over again because I screwed it up! :cry:

i prefer to use some fine steel wool instead of the sandpaper. all u need to do is roughen up the surface a lil bit. for the wood trim, thats pretty much til they get a lil dull.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

That is great advice, very thorough tutorial and all should listen thinking about doing it yourself. I did, it came out ok, but not as good as it could have. Now, as I think about showing the car, am planning on doing every piece over. So do it right the first time and it'll pay off in the long run for sure.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    now thats a kick ass tutorial, good job on puttin it up
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    seriously, maybe rich can post it on the home page at Thegalantcenter.com or the forums home page.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Hoopcrazyt8
    where can oi finf the dye paint that you were talkin about and how much would it be?

Moved to F&Q at the request of a few members.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Krylon also makes a spray made specifically for plastics called Fusion... its what i used to do all my trim and dash... turned out awesome.. no primer needed, just a good thourough scrubbing in the sink/tub to make sure all the armorall was removed. you can find this stuff almost anywhere. walmart and advance auto is where i got mine. and i put about 8-10 coats of "triple gloss" clear on it as well (also made by krylon).

http://krylon.com/main/product_templ...roduct_details

Quote Originally Posted by dienekes1982
    Krylon also makes a spray made specifically for plastics called Fusion... its what i used to do all my trim and dash... turned out awesome.. no primer needed, just a good thourough scrubbing in the sink/tub to make sure all the armorall was removed. you can find this stuff almost anywhere. walmart and advance auto is where i got mine. and i put about 8-10 coats of "triple gloss" clear on it as well (also made by krylon).

http://krylon.com/main/product_templ...roduct_details

Wow, a reply to the topic after almost 4 years! :shock: