The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speeding swapping!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8g-rider View Post
    its irregular, imma take it to one sometime this weekend
    You know, that part is like a brake rotor, so you need to have it cut to make flat but not too smooth, it needs to grab with the clutch disk. And from the pics it looks like its been machined before, where did you get it from?

4g64T 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    To start off swapping trannies is pretty simple just take your time and be very very very patient with what you do. I would suggest this (http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html) It made things faster and quicker. Before placing flywheel on the crank end and placing the clutch disk on...clean the surface of the flywheel with brake cleaner and make sure the flywheel is clean. Make sure you have the right flywheel bolts which should be M12X1.25X20-25MM. Mostly you can reuse the auto traNNY flywheel bolts but double check the length on them and if you need new bolt please please please buy the right bolts which are Grade 11 bolts and use blue lock tight. Do not use a impact wrench to put the bolts back on the flywheel, use a torque wrench (90-100ft.pounds). When placing the clutch disk on make sure it lines but and the right side is facing the flywheel. Use lock tight on the bolts also and torque no more than 25ft. pounds on those bolts. Before you place the M/T on the engine make sure the bearing on the clutch fork is clean and lubed up...you can use high temp hub bearing grease all on the inside of the bearing. When placing the tranny back on its going to be the biggest bitch to get it back on but just keep working at it and wiggling it back on. Shift cables are really hard to get to and a bitch to work with but do able...stay calm and take all weekend to do this project. It took me 3-4 hours to get the job done.

One more thing…when placing the tranny back on try to line up the two bolts with the bearing looking pins. It’s going to take time to do this but slowly lil by lil use the bolts to bring the tranny closer to the block and when you finally get the left bottom one in leave it loose and leave the two top loose and level ou the right side of the tranny with a jack to line up the two bolts on the right side. Good luck hope I helped.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    You know, that part is like a brake rotor, so you need to have it cut to make flat but not too smooth, it needs to grab with the clutch disk. And from the pics it looks like its been machined before, where did you get it from?
    i got it off of ebay from some other used parts company for about $60. my clutch should be in sometime this week too. i guess ill try to make this a tutorial even though ive never done it ymself. but i will be takin a load of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    To start off swapping trannies is pretty simple just take your time and be very very very patient with what you do. I would suggest this (http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html) It made things faster and quicker. Before placing flywheel on the crank end and placing the clutch disk on...clean the surface of the flywheel with brake cleaner and make sure the flywheel is clean. Make sure you have the right flywheel bolts which should be M12X1.25X20-25MM. Mostly you can reuse the auto traNNY flywheel bolts but double check the length on them and if you need new bolt please please please buy the right bolts which are Grade 11 bolts and use blue lock tight. Do not use a impact wrench to put the bolts back on the flywheel, use a torque wrench (90-100ft.pounds). When placing the clutch disk on make sure it lines but and the right side is facing the flywheel. Use lock tight on the bolts also and torque no more than 25ft. pounds on those bolts. Before you place the M/T on the engine make sure the bearing on the clutch fork is clean and lubed up...you can use high temp hub bearing grease all on the inside of the bearing. When placing the tranny back on its going to be the biggest bitch to get it back on but just keep working at it and wiggling it back on. Shift cables are really hard to get to and a bitch to work with but do able...stay calm and take all weekend to do this project. It took me 3-4 hours to get the job done.

One more thing…when placing the tranny back on try to line up the two bolts with the bearing looking pins. It’s going to take time to do this but slowly lil by lil use the bolts to bring the tranny closer to the block and when you finally get the left bottom one in leave it loose and leave the two top loose and level ou the right side of the tranny with a jack to line up the two bolts on the right side. Good luck hope I helped.
    yea man thanks! you helped alot. ive been looking for a transmission jack for a nice price too, the only thing im worried about really, is taking off the axels, and cutting the hole to put the pedal through. this is def gonna take a long time, i hope it doesnt rain the only place i have to do it at is in the parking lot of my apt haha. but im still waiting on parts to come in. but can i buy the bolts online, or do i have to go to the dealership and those?

yea man thanks! you helped alot. ive been looking for a transmission jack for a nice price too, the only thing im worried about really, is taking off the axels, and cutting the hole to put the pedal through. this is def gonna take a long time, i hope it doesnt rain the only place i have to do it at is in the parking lot of my apt haha. but im still waiting on parts to come in. but can i buy the bolts online, or do i have to go to the dealership and those?
    Taking the axles off is relatively easy you need like a big flat head screw driver or something similar with a flat fine tip so you can carefully pry them out of the tranny, drain the tranny oil before taking axles out or its going to be a mess and a 32mm socket and a handle for the nut on the wheel side of the axle if you want to take it completely out.

For the clutch pedal, I used a hole saw and a drill, I think it was 1 1/2 inch or something the hole is already marked up so you can easily know where to cut, or you could buy a metal cutting bit for your dremel.

For the bolts I reused like 6 from the eclipse(one got stripped) and 1 from the g's flexplate they are the same, you can buy them online but I think its easier on the dealership and shouldn't be that expensive I think members have spent like $30, try the flexplate ones first. if you need longer (you shouldn't since your using oem flywheel) then go buy them to the dealer for a 2g (neccesary if using 2g flywheel or aftermarket).
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-04-2011 at 03:46 PM

4g64T 5spd

Ok, so I bought a 3G flywheel. Arent those supposedly heavier or have less benefits than the 2g?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Taking out the axles is easy just get them at a good angle, and look for something like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece....html)...works wonders.lol Before you get the axles off you need to get the hub bolt off with either an impact gun or a large breaker bar and you can use one of the bars in the link i gave you to lock up the wheel so it dosnt spin on you while you are prying the bolt off. After either take off the control arm so you can move the wheel out the way and take the axles off. Dont forget to drain the tranny first or your ganna make one hell of a mess.lol To make the hole for the clutch peddle use a dermal and drill holes for the bolts. Like I said take your time.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

jus two more parts..

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    honestly I thought the hardest part was the shifter cables.

Hey so I went to the junkyard today. And I saw a 3G eclipse but it was a v6. Can I still take the cables and the pedals. And the shifter off of it?

yeah the cables, the pedals, the shifter are all the same (u can use the master cylinder too, but i'll get a new one) and make sure to get the clutch reservoir

u can also get the clutchlines, the part after the hose going down to the slave on the i4 is different than the v6 but u can bend it in the angle u need

^if you want to make it easier, just get a stainless steel braided line for the clutch line, so you only have to mess with one line, not 3

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

so today i went back to the junkyard to get the cables and slave cylinder off.. got everythng disconnected, but.. HOW THE HELL DO I TAKE THE CABLES OUT?!!

so today i went back to the junkyard to get the cables and slave cylinder off.. got everythng disconnected, but.. HOW THE HELL DO I TAKE THE CABLES OUT?!!
    Remember the pic I posted...with that, you need to take the 2 nuts that attach them to the firewall from the inside, on the 3g I have lol, I broke the shit out of it, complete dash out, and took the black a/c box out it was a major pain in the ass.

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    yeap. told you that they're a pain in the ass. You need one of those flexible head ratcheting wrenches. There's a shitton of stuff in front of it too. Carpet, metal, pipes, wiring harness, etc. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12