The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I.NEED.HELP -___- read if you've ever replaced your starter please

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

I.NEED.HELP -___- read if you've ever replaced your starter please

so my starter is acting up, i got a new one (or a used one i should say) and it's a total bi*** to put in (i have a 1996 by the way), has anyone ever replaced it? is there an easy way to do it? i've gone under...impossible, i've removed the air intake stuff and the throttle body...impossible, the only way i can see how to do it is by removing the fuel injection stuff but that is WAY too much trouble, anyone have any ideas? PLEASE XD this is getting annoying that i can't fix just the starter

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    well not sure where the starter is located on the 7 gen but with the 8 gen its in the front. Sounds like the starter is in the back if thats the case, why dont you jack up the car (dont forget jack stands) and replace the starter from under the car.
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    well not sure where the starter is located on the 7 gen but with the 8 gen its in the front. Sounds like the starter is in the back if thats the case, why dont you jack up the car (dont forget jack stands) and replace the starter from under the car.
    aw **** i just realized that i posted this in the wrong place, i meant to post it in the problems section for the 7 g
    anyways, yea, i already jacked the car up, and even under i couldn't get to the starter, i could see it, but the bolt is snugged right next to the engine, so i can't use a socket wrench to take off that bolt

The starter is in the front just like a 8g. No need to jack anything up. Follow the tranny bolts that connect to the engine 2 of them belongs to the starter.
    Last edited by Exhaust power; 08-08-2011 at 06:20 AM

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

I've pulled starters several times and don't remember any big issues. First disconnecting the negative battery connector and pull the air filter housing (I pull everything that is rubber and plastic starting starting at the intake maniford up to the air filter box itself). Now unbolt the nut that holds the large wire to the starter. Next there is a smaller wire that snaps onto a blade connector (also on the starter right next to where you unbolted the large wire) and you pull that. Now remove the two mounting bolts (these go thru the trans and screw into the starter itself). I find it easier to pull the wires off the starter from below because you can almost see what you are doing. The starter is removed from the top after removing the two mounting bolts. The starter can be twisted and turned and pulled out from under the intake manifold and onto the trans into the space once occupied by the plastic and rubber pieces of air filter system that you already removed.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Are you sure it's the starter you're trying to remove back there?

update, new starter in and working fine, ^__^ thanks to the help, especially to eksz !!! it was in fact connected to the tranny, i was confused cuz i saw the bolts on the other side, thanks again!