The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: once again, another HID retrofit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

once again, another HID retrofit

I knwo there are tons of these on here but I thought that I should put in my two pieces. I will update this at least every week.

Story. I have done a lot to my G but I figures HID is the next thing. I was lucky enough to get OEM Mazda RX8 headlights from the junk yard for only $50.00. yes both headlight assemblies with HID ballasts and bulbs for $50.

Well Its night 1 and I took the broken headlight assembly apart.

After much confusion and all I have figured out finally how to get them to light. I went to HIDplanet.com and found out I could use an old PC mains power supply as a 12 volt bench supply so I did that and bam they came on. This headlight was busted open and the lens and bulb were open to the elements, that being said, it still lit up perfectly so the other headlight will be fine. more later.

click to view the short video

Last edited by bgood12; 08-10-2011 at 02:09 AM

50 bux, What a steal!!

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    50 bux, What a steal!!
    Yea I got very lucky I usually have one guy that's pretty easy on me and another that's not. This time the one that's not let me have them for cheap I think cause I knew they were there and the headlight assemblies were not even in their system as being on the car. When he asked me how much I said 65 for one and he said wow how about 50 for both and I did not argue.

Here we go. I made a video of taking apart the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant headlight. Enjoy!

Ok here is one of the RX8 headlights i was able to get

After, taking it apart per the video above, I tested the HID bulbs and ballasts. the lenses that came in the RX8 were nice but they were fresnel lenses( conical rings on the lens). So I ordered some mini moritomo hd porjectors from theretrofitsource.com. that had clear lenses here are pics of them installed.

Once installed, I bench tested the setup against the wall the only lights I left on was the tv, so all the light in the photo is the hid. first on low beam and second on high beam.

Anybody know if the FX-R's fit into our reflectors (they're hella small)

The D2S sucks btw.

I believe so, OMEGA PHX has them in his reflectors. I've been reading that the MH1's are the better Morimoto projectors, but that relegates you to aftermarket bulbs only.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I believe so, OMEGA PHX has them in his reflectors. I've been reading that the MH1's are the better Morimoto projectors, but that relegates you to aftermarket bulbs only.
    Well, I think I'm going to do it. I'll let you know if I end up with a big piece of useless reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonism View Post
    Anybody know if the FX-R's fit into our reflectors (they're hella small)

The D2S sucks btw.
    The depth, height and width of the fxr is less than 20mm more than the mini d2s. I can give you more accurate dimensions if you need.
    Last edited by carl3g; 08-20-2011 at 03:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    The depth, height and width of the fxr is less than 20mm more than the mini d2s. I can give you more accurate dimensions if you need.
    So you think it'll fit? You thinking of getting rid of your D2S too?

Well I don't drive an 8g. From the description on trs, it says it will fit all headlights but small ones. I can imagine it will.

Hedonism, Instead of saying DS2's suck say well i hear that "blah" are better than DS2 because or etc....
    Because I have no way to reply to your post as I don't know what you are referring to. . .
    I chose them mostly off of a suggestion from staff at theretrofit source. They are installed and seen to be fine as we all now oem 8g headlights are crap. I stuck with ds2 bulbs because 1. They came in the headlights I got off the rx8, and 2. when you get ballasts, bulbs, and headlamp for 50 why try to bit different bulbs. But since you have brought it up whats the suckiness about ds2?

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    The mini series is made by morimoto silly !

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    The mini series is made by morimoto silly !
    I know that lol, bad grammar on my part, I should have said I've been reading that the MH1 is the better one of the two Morimoto Mini projectors, I see how I worded that and how it looks now though lol!

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    Hedonism, Instead of saying DS2's suck say well i hear that "blah" are better than DS2 because or etc....
    Because I have no way to reply to your post as I don't know what you are referring to. . .
    I chose them mostly off of a suggestion from staff at theretrofit source. They are installed and seen to be fine as we all now oem 8g headlights are crap. I stuck with ds2 bulbs because 1. They came in the headlights I got off the rx8, and 2. when you get ballasts, bulbs, and headlamp for 50 why try to bit different bulbs. But since you have brought it up whats the suckiness about ds2?
    You did an awsome job man. There is nothing wrong eith D2S, its just a bulb size. Just not easy to come by in aftermarket kits and more expensive. Saying they suck is like say 9006 bulbs suck and H11's are better. Its just what fits.

You did an awsome job man. There is nothing wrong eith D2S, its just a bulb size. Just not easy to come by in aftermarket kits and more expensive. Saying they suck is like say 9006 bulbs suck and H11's are better. Its just what fits.
    Ok, thanks I was wondering what that meant. I figure that oem parts are made for one thing, to last,they are not the most "performance oriented" and most times are not the most practical but they are usually chosen to last for a while for some reason I knwo the ballasts in mazdas are some of the most well known to be reliable and even though ds2 bulbs are 60 a pop the longevity in life should about average out.

Ok well upon taking out the lights I had in my car I chose to leave these parts out, I had too much silver going on and wanted some accent it makes the car look more aggressive in my opinion.

So here is what they looked like back in the car

after about a full day of wiring, rewiring, taping, buying, and drilling i fit two enclosures into my engine bay to give the ballast some protection and what not.

And here go the lights

Ok, thanks I was wondering what that meant. I figure that oem parts are made for one thing, to last,they are not the most "performance oriented"
    No Prob. And that statement you made about OEM components is in fact wrong.
    OEM HID components superior to aftermarket. For one they use the best temperature for visibility, 2: they do last longer. Downside is, you are limited to which components you can use for retrofits (some may be too big) and they are more expensive. The deal you got for $50 was an easy $300 for just the projectors, bulbs and ballasts.

BTW: Properly aim your lights to get the most out of the light output.

Ok, thanks I was wondering what that meant. I figure that oem parts are made for one thing, to last,they are not the most "performance oriented" and most times are not the most practical but they are usually chosen to last for a while for some reason I knwo the ballasts in mazdas are some of the most well known to be reliable and even though ds2 bulbs are 60 a pop the longevity in life should about average out.
    Naw fellas, when they were saying D2S's suck, they were referring to the D2S Morimoto Mini Projectors, and that's only in comparison to the H1 Morimoto Mini Projector which has a much brighter light output than the D2S version, they don't mean the bulbs themselves lol.

Morimoto D2S projector output @ 50ft

Morimoto H1 projector output @ 50ft

The D2S projector is gonna put out light that way better than your reflector could still.

-Greg

got ya, now as far as aiming goes I want my beam pattern to look like that picture where both headlights line up and are on top of each other? Im having trouble with my passenger headlight cause its an aftermarket light and will only adjust so far before it craps out of alignment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast