The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: once again, another HID retrofit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    got ya, now as far as aiming goes I want my beam pattern to look like that picture where both headlights line up and are on top of each other? Im having trouble with my passenger headlight cause its an aftermarket light and will only adjust so far before it craps out of alignment
    Yeah sorry, I just assummed everybody knew I was talking about the mini D2S. I also agree OEM is much better, one reason I went the OEM route in D2S.

You would have to aim the left more down and the right more up, then it should be good.

got ya, now as far as aiming goes I want my beam pattern to look like that picture where both headlights line up and are on top of each other? Im having trouble with my passenger headlight cause its an aftermarket light and will only adjust so far before it craps out of alignment
    I believe the right way to aim the lights is to park about 25 feet away from a wall and the lights should be about 24 inches off the ground on the wall. Ill post up a picture to help explain when I get on the comp tonight. Im on my cell phone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Naw fellas, when they were saying D2S's suck, they were referring to the D2S Morimoto Mini Projectors, and that's only in comparison to the H1 Morimoto Mini Projector which has a much brighter light output than the D2S version, they don't mean the bulbs themselves lol.
    Haha did I have my shit backwards.

I can see why he label the D2S projectors as full of suck.
    But like you said 100 times better than HID's in stock reflectors.

This is what you would want for aiming you lights:

It's hard to see, but both headlights are pretty much on the exact same horizontal level in this pic, both lower steps lined up and both higher steps lined up, when driving they'll look like one beam instead of two.

I know you have aftermarket lights, but try to get them as close to level with each other as possible, the blended light will be brighter and give you more distance vision. Good luck, you've got great progress so far, I need to do this myself!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

So I'm mounting the FX-R directly to the housing to eliminate shaking from the reflector having too much stress on the OEM screws. Weta, I'll keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonism View Post
    So I'm mounting the FX-R directly to the housing to eliminate shaking from the reflector having too much stress on the OEM screws. Weta, I'll keep you updated.
    Not a bad idea, I'll keep looking out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

I used some medium density foam I cut into strips and put some on the top and bottom of the reflector, basically between the housing and reflector to help with the vibration or bouncing that may occur. It still allowed for adjustment and I haven't had any issues. It may have been fine, I just did it because I didn't want to have issues or anything come up down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyprouty View Post
    I used some medium density foam I cut into strips and put some on the top and bottom of the reflector, basically between the housing and reflector to help with the vibration or bouncing that may occur. It still allowed for adjustment and I haven't had any issues. It may have been fine, I just did it because I didn't want to have issues or anything come up down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good call brotha...

FX-R (top) vs Mini D2S (bottom). You decide which one is better.

I'm confused, here it says the top is the FXR and bottom is D2S, IMO the bottom has more light....

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I'm confused, here it says the top is the FXR and bottom is D2S, IMO the bottom has more light....
    This is misleading. The bottom has more light because it doesn't have a foreground limiter. However, that is up against a wall. On the road, that translates into a lot of light right in front of your car, which will condition your eyes for more brightness, closing your iris and decreasing your distance vision. Plus, look at the top one, and look at the "hotspot" right at the steps, just below the cutoff. That brighter region is gonna translate to more distance light, and since it's right at the cutoff on those bi-xenon projectors, when the shield flips down for the high-beams, they're gonna really be bright. To truly compare the superiority of the FX-R over the Mini D2S, one needs either more distance from the wall, or simply look at some road output shots.

50' shots:
    FX-R Low Beam

Mini D2S Low Beam

FX-R High Beam

Mini D2S High Beam

Road Shots, the real decider:
    FX-R Low

FX-R High

Mini D2S Low

Mini D2S High

FX-R's all day!

Edit: I don't think the exposures on the road shots are the same, those FX-R's are incredibly bright in those pics, and the D2S's are rather dim, but according to HIDP members, that's the case, misleading exposures or not!
    Last edited by wetamup2k3g; 09-01-2011 at 05:36 PM

-Greg

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    LoL @ last pic ! those bulbs have some seating issues !

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    LoL @ last pic ! those bulbs have some seating issues !
    Yeah, something has to be up, those are the quickest shots of D2S's I could find, but they are too dim to be normal.

-Greg

I did see the hotspots in the FXR's, and the pictures did throw me off. I did get it, but rather misleading without multiple shots like the ones you posted up Gregs. If and when I do a retro I'm going to go FXR's or not at all. LoL.

I did see the hotspots in the FXR's, and the pictures did throw me off. I did get it, but rather misleading without multiple shots like the ones you posted up Gregs. If and when I do a retro I'm going to go FXR's or not at all. LoL.
    Got mine in today. Woot

Sorry for the crappy pictures in the thread. Best I could do, I didn't feel like driving after the work it took installing them.

I'll get some wall shots.. Eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Yeah, something has to be up, those are the quickest shots of D2S's I could find, but they are too dim to be normal.
    Nono.. That's normal..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12