The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does anyone ever have problems driving on the freeway?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Does anyone ever have problems driving on the freeway?

i noticed when i drive on the freeway and i have to pay attention i don't even drive on a deep crack cuz then itll move my car kinda, i was just wondering if it could be my tires or something cuz it's really annoying and loud @_@

TGC Regular
    Somehow I did not understand what your asking for lmao. Someone enlighten me on this.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    I think what hes trying to say is the car goes to one side when he takes a crack in the road

«Carlos»

If you hit a big enough pothole or bump your car will jerk to one side right?

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I think all low profile tires are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    If you hit a big enough pothole or bump your car will jerk to one side right?
    yea ! or if i even drive on a big enough crack maybe like an inch or two wide then i could feel my car jerk to the side too, i just wanna know if this is normal

TGC Regular
    Ahhhh, thanks guys. So my thought is that, This could mean your tires are underinflated or tire grips from edge to edge (low pros) or positives for your fronts. Regardless your tire is hanging on at the outer edge which isn't nessesary a bad thing. I know is common on some cars but I'm not sure for our cars anymore since mine has been long since it was stock. As of right now due to work, I'm running stock springs/kyb-gr2s w/ 225/45/18 Kuhmos and it doesnt jerk. Hope that helps.

FreshDaily
    When im on the highway, going 60mph my engine rpms are at almost 3k, in 4th/overdrive. I have stock automatic, is this normal or does anyone else have this problem? sry not trying to highjack, just throwin my highway problem out there lol.

TGC Regular
    what kind of auto engine are you running? Is there a specific reason you have it on o/d?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshDaily View Post
    When im on the highway, going 60mph my engine rpms are at almost 3k, in 4th/overdrive. I have stock automatic, is this normal or does anyone else have this problem? sry not trying to highjack, just throwin my highway problem out there lol.
    Sounds about right...
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    Ahhhh, thanks guys. So my thought is that, This could mean your tires are underinflated or tire grips from edge to edge (low pros) or positives for your fronts. Regardless your tire is hanging on at the outer edge which isn't nessesary a bad thing. I know is common on some cars but I'm not sure for our cars anymore since mine has been long since it was stock. As of right now due to work, I'm running stock springs/kyb-gr2s w/ 225/45/18 Kuhmos and it doesnt jerk. Hope that helps.
    thanks for the info! ^_^ im actually going to get new wheels and tires next month so by then i'll see if its the problem XD

The most likely issue is that your struts are old and don't dampen road vibrations as they are supposed to. In a large impact situation the dampener bound is too excessive, rebound is not adequate. This can cause the driver (you) to experience the sensation that you have felt. The suspension is actually forcing the vehicle to move laterally because of improper dampening, and weight distribution.

FreshDaily
    Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    what kind of auto engine are you running? Is there a specific reason you have it on o/d?
    Stock 95 Galant S 2.4L. Only thing ive done is change engine mounts, rebuild end clutch that burnt out. I put it in o/d when i get on the freeway..

Cant wait to swap w a 5 speed.......

Agreed poor handling is most likely worn suspension parts; bushing, struts, etc, than wheels and tires. Take your car into a shop and ask them to check out your front end. Many places wil give you a free inspection in hopes of getting the work. Just call and ask them if they'll inspect your suspension for free. Also have them check the rear struts.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    Agreed poor handling is most likely worn suspension parts; bushing, struts, etc, than wheels and tires. Take your car into a shop and ask them to check out your front end. Many places wil give you a free inspection in hopes of getting the work. Just call and ask them if they'll inspect your suspension for free. Also have them check the rear struts.
    sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshDaily View Post
    Ahh, yes finally somebody else is asking the question that's been on my mind forever

All I can say is, I have an automatic and yes, around 60mph my engine is also screaming around 3,000rpm. You can thank the imbeciles who designed the transmission for the short gear ratio between 3rd and 4th.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

FreshDaily
    Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    Ahh, yes finally somebody else is asking the question that's been on my mind forever

All I can say is, I have an automatic and yes, around 60mph my engine is also screaming around 3,000rpm. You can thank the imbeciles who designed the transmission for the short gear ratio between 3rd and 4th.
    Sweet thanks for ur input, im glad im not the only one! What where these people thinking when they designed these trannys anyways...

My stock auto with the v6 hanggs around 2k rpm at 60 mph...

I had a grand am that would shift into 4th on the freeway then after about 30 seconds down shift to 3rd again and would not shift back to 4th. Dealer told me something was worn out but I dont remember what they told me it was. Either way they said I would need to rebuild my trans or get a new one. But with that car, 60-65 mph on the freeway was right around 3k