The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brighter Headlight without Hassle

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    4G64

Brighter Headlight without Hassle

I ran across this from my friends today... I haven't search all the previous threads about this.. but just in case I like to share it again...

I like many other galant owners out there.. has been through light bulbs several times over... most aftermarket bulbs don't last too long and they either generate too much heat, or draw way higher voltage...

a friend of mine told me today that with little to no modification I can use 9005 light bulb instead of the 9006 light bulb for my low beam...

reason being is that.. 9006 was design to be a low beam bulb.. therefore it has that stupid ceramic (I think) tip at the tip of the bulb.. it only decrease the light output of the bulb... 9005 was for high beam and does not have that tip.. it is a lot brighter and offers the same wattage.. as well as same temperature..

go to your local wal-mart. and pick up the GE "super blue" 9005SB.. bulb. for 20 bucks.. they are actually really white.. no tint of yellow at all.. and not blue at all.. (so cops won't bother u).. then.. all u need to do is use a xactor knife and slowly cut away two small plastic slides in side the socket. so it will mate with your 9006 low beam harness....

after that install the light. and enjoy the brighter, trouble free head light...

hope this info is useful..

p.s. it made dramatic difference on my car.. a lot brighter headlight... love it...

I always thought 9006 was 55w and 9005 was 65w

Galant Ryder
    well i guess 65w is better than those 80w performance 1's that burn you wires and melt the socket..i might give this a try

4G64
    9005 is about 60watt on the set of bulb I got... they are the GE super white.. no tint of blue or yellow at all. just bright white .. like the PIAA set I had before (75 bucks for those PIAA and only lasted a year).. I am going to get a set of the new sylvania silverStar bulb.. they should be even brighter...

I figure.. brighter light without the hassle of burn harness 65watt vs 85 or even 100watt is a lot safer.. .. or over heat the head light housing... and expensive PIAA or Raybrig bulbs... why not.. and I love the result...

Experienced TGC Member
    Actually I had done this but the other way around. I took a low beam bulb (9006 i think) and dremmeld the ridge off so it would fit into the highbeam socket. But then I also had to shave off a lot of the um sides of the plastic where it snaps into the headlight housing. I had it so when I turn the brights on, I had 4 low beam bulbs shining out.

But ye highbeam bulb in the lowbeam socket defitnly doable and pretty good idea.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

4G64
    hey JiP.. I got a stupid question... is the high beam only different in the bulb .. vs low beam. or is the whole housing and reflector is different as well..... cuz it would be awsome to have 4 9005 bulbs light up at the same time... I won't be needing fog lights no more. heheheh!

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4G64)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey JiP.. Â*I got a stupid question... Â* Â*is the high beam only different in the bulb .. Â*vs low beam. or is the whole housing and reflector is different as well..... Â*cuz it would be awsome to have 4 9005 bulbs light up at the same time... Â*I won't be needing fog lights no more. Â*heheheh!</div>

I kind dont know how to explain it, aside from the watage being different, and there are no painted tips on the high beams its basically the same shit. However the mounting is slightly different, thats what I was saying before, you'll have to cut that lil bit on the bottom of the bulbs connector so that the harness will fit onto it. But then you also have to trim the, um u know the part that fits into the headlight housing its like 3 fins that u stick in and twist to keep the bulb in place? You have to trim those fins. If u look at the 9005 and 9006 the fins are slightly different sizes. Its really quick with a dremel, and I did have 4 low beam lights on actually. A friend suggested if you can aim the low beam and high beams seperately then it would be better just using the stock lights and set the high beams to shoot down at the floor instaed of straight out. *I THINK* in 7gs when you turn high beams on the low beams also stay lit, or maybe I rewired mine to do that? i dont remember lol

god that was long.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Galant Ryder
    well cant u just put the whole 9005 socket into the lowbeam spot. i know most of you have burned your sockets and have replaced it...so y not unsplice it and splice in the 9005..has anyone tried this?? exact same wiring isnt it?and since its made to withstand 65w then even better..or am i missing something important?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant Ryder)</div><div class='quotemain'>well cant u just put the whole 9005 socket into the lowbeam spot. i know most of you have burned your sockets and have replaced it...so y not unsplice it and splice in the 9005..has anyone tried this?? exact same wiring isnt it?and since its made to withstand 65w then even better..or am i missing something important?</div>

Nope that will work, but your still have have to trinm the screw points on the bulb. But I never burnt out any sockets and Im too cheap to buy a socket to wire in. =D
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon