The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fixing the cloudy headlight lenses

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    ablythe

Fixing the cloudy headlight lenses

Thanks TGC, this is a great site. I just found it this week.

I plan on clearing the corners in the next week or so. But my headlight lenses are cloudy. Its not moisture on the inside, its a roughness on the outside. Its probably oxidation and fading from age. I figure while I've got the headlight lenses out, that I should clear those puppies up. If I don't, they'll just continue to look like crap.

Has someone done this before? How do I get my lenses looking new? Sandpaper? Polish?? I've searched on the forum and haven't found anything yet. Thanks for the help.

AB
    Dallas, TX
    96 Galant S Maroon
    4g64 Engine
    Newly Overhauled KM-175/176 Auto Trans
    New CT-12 Torque Converter
    170,000 miles and still smilin' 8)

polish. first try metal polish. if that don't work, its time to wet sand. start with a fine grit sandpaper and slowly (meaning slow intervals) graduate to finer and finer sandpaper.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BEAST
    Pinoy is absolutely right. Try some polish. I would say first try some wax or car polish since most likely you have that laying around the house but this will take the haze right out.

ablythe
    The surface texture of the lens is very rough. It almost feels like sandpaper. I don't think liquid polish is gonna cut it. What is the lens made of? Acrylic, plexiglass,?? I don't know much about the materials. Will wetsanding work?? What grit and what kind of sandpaper should I start with and progress to? I have a digital camera and I can take pics of the progress.

try out this tutorial. http://www.projectviper.com/neon/howtolamp.html its for a neon but pretty much the same thing as the galant.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

is there really a difference i cant tell from the pictures, the before and after pic look the same
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???