The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is it possible to strip the paint of a CF Hood/part?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Is it possible to strip the paint of a CF Hood/part?

Just wondering if a painted Carbon Fiber part can be stripped off?

The situation:

A friend is offering me his 8g's CF Hood, it's nice and I like it.

The problem is that the left and "sides" are painted leaving the center part with the "duct" the only CF part visible. His car color is also different from mine. It's real CF and not the cheap sticker/vinyl CF

His CF Hood is also spray painted with "Clear" coat sealing the paint and making the CF part and paint shinny.

I'm thinking of just painting over the CF Hood with my car's color...but I'm a little bit apprehensive that the paint on the left and right side of the hood would thicken and thus make the hood kind-off well...thicken?

Is it possible to remove the paint off the CF hood without damaging it or causing weird side-effects on the hood?

I'm also planning to do this on future CF parts...and then after a few years when the time comes strip it off to reveal the CF parts. Sleeper type sort off wishful thinking.

Any inputs, idea's or experiences?

Thanks!

Sure can....wet sand it till you can see the cf and re-clear

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon Wireless
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

TGC Regular
    cali has spoken... oh and lets make sure you dont hit the cf. :)

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

yea bro easy fix.

hit it with some 600 or 800 very carefully.

Luckly most cf manufacturers will add a generous coat of clear during its production. I'm willing to bet your friend scuffed all around with some 800 r scuff pads sprayed some color and then some clear. all you gotta do is sand the hood carefully until the paint begins to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Sure can....wet sand it till you can see the cf and re-clear
    ADExternal@
    cali has spoken... oh and lets make sure you dont hit the cf. :)
    es_fact@
    yea bro easy fix.

hit it with some 600 or 800 very carefully.

Luckly most cf manufacturers will add a generous coat of clear during its production. I'm willing to bet your friend scuffed all around with some 800 r scuff pads sprayed some color and then some clear. all you gotta do is sand the hood carefully until the paint begins to fade.
    Ok...I think i get the picture now...so the layering will be, CF Hood, clear coat, paint color, and then clear coat again?

I'll have to sand the top clear coat and then the paint color until I slightly hit the bottom clear coat but not hit the CF Hood...sounds scary...i guess I have to ask my friend as how exactly he had his CF hood painted.

Thanks guys for the tip!

This is the said hood:

my suggestion is you use a 600 dry, on a palm sander until you begin to the paint fade, then grab some 1000 wet with cold water and soap. it helps you cut easier until all the paint is gone.

Reclear if funds allow. if not, watersand with some 1500 or 2000 and polish the fuck out of it!

No one clears cf hoods from production; what you see is clear gel coat; very different. That's why they yellow fairly quickly. (no uv protection). Always clear coat any cf products if you can.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon Wireless
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

ok. lol. there's a customs shop in partnership with mine that claims to do so. lol I assumed it was a standard.