The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you think this is clever???

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Rasko Da Gama

Do you think this is clever???

I saw someone did holes into the housing of the air filter... take alook: :shock:
    http://www.teamhightower.com/artwork/vr4/o...ul/MVC-499F.JPG

Is this a clever idea?

Thanks for replays

TGC Regular
    yeah, im curious too, would there be any hp increase/decrease?

yea, thats an old dsm's trick. that part on the air box on the right is actually where their MAS is. and if you were to remove that cover, the filter wouldn't be secured to anything. so they just cut up the air can

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyESV6
    yea, thats an old dsm's trick. that part on the air box on the right is actually where their MAS is. and if you were to remove that cover, the filter wouldn't be secured to anything. so they just cut up the air can
    more hp? bad for the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    its a cheap thing to do for those who can't afford aftermarket intakes...more air means good right?. as long as the filters is on ther securely then ur good to go

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    its a cheap thing to do for those who can't afford aftermarket intakes...more air means good right?. as long as the filters is on ther securely then ur good to go
    cool, but the hp would be virtually nothing right? maybe 2hp gain at the most?

yea. very little gains. but you do gain some sound. i know u guys like that...

uhm if you want a good intake. you might wanna try out the injen for the 1g eclipse n/a. looks really similar to the ones on the galant. might be worth a shot. for a lil more hp than ghetto, and something pretty and louder too

http://www.injen.com/webpages/intakes/inta...y/is/is1885.jpg

yea. very little gains. but you do gain some sound. i know u guys like that...

uhm if you want a good intake. you might wanna try out the injen for the 1g eclipse n/a. looks really similar to the ones on the galant. might be worth a shot. for a lil more hp than ghetto, and something pretty and louder too

http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake.../is/is1885.jpg
    lil more HP wont make alot of diff,, i think people get intake simple reason cause of sounds,, and anything beats STOCK... intake,, and its good for the engine,, as long as the filter is tight,,,,

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

Rasko Da Gama
    Is it possible to put K&N filter in to that stock air box, do some holes like that dude did? Is it necesary to get that MAS adapter or wil K/N fit with no problems?

my friend has a laser and he did that( the k&n i mean)

the main part of the 6g intakes look like this.

the horn is the aircan cover. the MAS and stuff sit in that part all the way to the right.

u can get a k&n, the stock replacement and cut up the airbox, that would work.

or if its different, find out how injen secures the filter on the 1g eclipse intakes...

TGC Regular
    will this make any noise?

or annoying sounds?

TGC Regular
    u think i should do it now? im bored and feel like modding! :?:

it will do nothing.

In fact, aftermarket intakes in general do basically nothing except make more noise.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>it will do nothing.

In fact, aftermarket intakes in general do basically nothing except make more noise.</div>

yeah but sound=hp

well, at least i will sound cool, i didnt expect much hp anyway, i thought it would be about half a horse anyway maybe less.

Pappy
    Hey everyone. I'm new here.

Anywho, I personally removed my aircan all together, shown here. Pardon the dirty engine bay.

I didn't notice any performance increase, and didn't really expect to. The K&N was already on the car so I can't say how much that helped. The turbo spool and bov sound a bit louder without the aircan. When I was removing the air can to clean the air filter when I purchased the car, I noticed that the only dirty spot was one small circle right next to where the snorkel in the air can was. I decided that the filter wasn't getting as much air as it could, so I removed the can permanently. However, once I relocate my battery to the trunk, I will rig up a temporary ABS plastic 3" intake pipe. There will be slight bends, but it will essentially be straight. Most of what this will do is increase the intake sound. That's not really my goal, but it should also help my spoolup a little, which would help immensely. Sorry to ramble. I guess I'll sum it up with; letting the air filter breath better won't help much, but it does help.[/img]

Rasko Da Gama
    First, Pappy wlcome to the board, nice to have another 6'th G owner.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anywho, I personally removed my aircan all together, shown here. Pardon the dirty engine bay</div>

I'll try this tomorow. I don't have a K&N yet so I'll leave the box mounted up there...

ken inn
    having done both, i think leaving it stock and the k&n filter does a lot better. i removed the little square piece of plastic right behind the right headlight, and ran some heater tubing to a scoop from a bmw 745i to force more cool air into the chamber behind the headlight. the response was slightly better than when the filter was open.