The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Project: Rusty Butt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    Experienced TGC Member

Project: Rusty Butt

So back in June I bought a 96 Honda Civic hatchback. At $850, I thought it was a steal. Until I learned that Id be doing a motor swap in order to get it running.

Most people live their whole lives never having to attempt such a project. Due to my ignorance, I had to "put up, or shut up". Because the Charger as a daily murked my wallet.

It took about 6 weeks to complete (July to mid-August). But now that its done, Im enjoying +30mpg

As for future plans, Im considering a few different options. N/A and cleaned up. Or a F/I primered out sleeper.

The car handles pretty damn good. This car drives as if it was on rails. The acceleration isnt the greatest. And I cant stand the fart can the asshole before me installed. But the aftermarket support is plentiful and the parts are cheap. Ive priced a new Jackson Racing supercharger kit at $2000. Not too shabby. Imagine that in a car that weighs less than 2400lbs.

Last edited by 6G72Galant; 08-26-2011 at 08:39 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i see your in NY but the engine has an LA tag on it lol

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

I've done 3 engine swaps last year all on civics. Pretty fun if you enjoy things like that. I sure as hell do

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    i see your in NY but the engine has an LA tag on it lol
    I was definitely scratching my head about that. But at the price I paid, I couldnt have cared if the motor was from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. lol

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    I've done 3 engine swaps last year all on civics. Pretty fun if you enjoy things like that. I sure as hell do
    I wish I could say this experience was "fun". Basically, the Charger was sucking the life out of my wallet. It was costing me damn near $1100 a month. So I saw the Civic on Craigslist. And jumped at the low price. I learned a week later that the motor in the Civic had bad piston rings and the motor would need to be replaced. So this project was more of a necessity than recreation. But all in all, it was definitely a good learning experience. And one that Ill be sure to put to good use.

Experienced TGC Member XxGiRLaNT06xX's Avatar
    Nice project! I agree. That is a great experience! I always wanted a little project car!

2011 Ibis White Audi S4
    *When you turn your car on ... does it return the favor?*
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    The thread got big fast because Ally is the bomb lol.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the supercharger. Just pick up a GSR or LS swap from an Integra, same power but OEM like reliability.

GSR > LS of course

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    lead foot in that v8? what are you doing with the charger?

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the supercharger. Just pick up a GSR or LS swap from an Integra, same power but OEM like reliability.

GSR > LS of course
    This^ Stick with the NA power for the relialbility since its ur DD. You could even do an H22 swap from the Prelude for a nice power upgrade. Throw an inexpensive but decent paint job on it, get some clean stock alloy wheels & call it a day.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

^Good call.

H22 + a B-Series transmission (like the LS) provides the best combo on a budget.

The h22 can make a ton of power and the B series trans are the best to ever be made by Honda.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    Nice project! I agree. That is a great experience! I always wanted a little project car!
    Do it! Do it! You wont be sorry!

GSR > LS of course
    Ehh...we'll see. The cold weather is fast approaching. And Ill be damned if Im laying on my back in freezing temps doing another motor swap. lol That might have to wait until next March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    lead foot in that v8? what are you doing with the charger?
    That coupled with the fact that I drive about 60-80 miles a day. Since last friday evening, Ive driven approximately 480miles.

This^ Stick with the NA power for the relialbility since its ur DD. You could even do an H22 swap from the Prelude for a nice power upgrade. Throw an inexpensive but decent paint job on it, get some clean stock alloy wheels & call it a day.
    A possibility. But I would need to find one relatively cheap. As far as the exterior, I plan to purchase some lightweight wheels. Either a mesh pattern, 5-spoke, or lightweight steelies.

These wheels scream Sleeper.
    http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/ministock.html

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    13's are gonna be TINY though lol

never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

I will say the ek hatch back is a nice civic. Too much support out there for it.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    ah yeah 60-80 a day will kill the wallet for sure, why the sudden change in driving?

And its a Honda! Lol

I would make it a nice driver, and call it a day!

Keep the charger nice!

Don't go diamond racing wheels, very heavy and prone to bending. Just get some thing light weight on the cheap, Kosei K1 for example.

And do the swap in the spring, let the D16 get you through the winter in stock mode.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    I will say the ek hatch back is a nice civic. Too much support out there for it.
    Yeh, its grown on me a lot. Plus they're kinda hard to find. Not to mention when you do find one people usually want $3000-$5000 for them. With some minor body work and paint, Ill be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    13's are gonna be TINY though lol
    It came stock with 13's. But the kid I bought it from installed 14's. Which Im glad he did. 13's are tiny. When I get bigger wheels, Ill probably settle for some 16's.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    ah yeah 60-80 a day will kill the wallet for sure, why the sudden change in driving?
    Its always been like that. We're a 1 car family. So I drop my girlfriend off at work. Take my son to my mom's house. And then I go to work. I leave work. Pick up my girlfriend. Pick up my son. And then head home.

The Charger was just too damn much in gas. And although the Civic is much easier on the wallet, its still going to take some getting used to.

The Charger has power steering, power seats, A/C, leather interior, radio, etc...

The Civic has no power steering, no A/C, no power windows, no power locks, no radio, and much stiffer suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    And its a Honda! Lol

I would make it a nice driver, and call it a day!

Keep the charger nice!
    That's the plan too. I bought the Civic to save money. But I have a strong feeling the money being saved is going to be sunk right back into the Charger. lol

Don't go diamond racing wheels, very heavy and prone to bending. Just get some thing light weight on the cheap, Kosei K1 for example.

And do the swap in the spring, let the D16 get you through the winter in stock mode.
    Diamond steelies look pretty sweet. My friend wants them baaaad for his 2.5RS. I want something lightweight and cheap. Ill definitely look into Kosei. Thanks for the advice.

Whatever happened top this car???
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

I think it broke down on him twice recently. So I believe he scraped it and bought teh teggy.
    Last edited by carl3g; 01-08-2012 at 03:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    I think it broke down on him twice recently. So I beloved he scrapes and bought teh teggy.
    Ohhhhhhh lol
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Experienced TGC Member
    Yeh, this project was over before it even started. The Death Trap on wheels AKA Rusty Butt is no more. Sold it to some kid for $1000. Good riddance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast