The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HungarianHunter's latest car troubles...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 52

HungarianHunter's latest car troubles...

Hey everybody,

First of all, long time no see :o hope everyone is doing well :)

So, here we go:

I'm driving down the freeway, go to pass, so my car shifts down, gets back up to like 6k to shift back up, and dies. It will turn over, but won't start.

I grab my Hayne's manual, and follow the procedure to troubleshoot such an issue. The fuel pump relay is fine, as is the fuse, but when I checked to see if the fuel pump was functioning (by doing their trick of listening into the gas tank through a funnel and seeing if I can hear the pump), I realized that it was not.

So I got the car home, replaced the fuel pump, and nothing changed.

Also, my stepdad told me to check if I have spark, see if that was causing the issue of my car turning over but not starting. I have no spark in any wire it seems.

Any ideas as to what this could be? What should I test next? Also, if the OBDII codes help I will post those ASAP, I just need to grab my friend's Diagnostic Tool.

Thanks a lot guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    So I assume you're bisexual then? you look like vin diesel..so you must like the cock
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Lol, are you hitting on me?

Icon9

So after some reading, it seems that the most probable cause would be the cam sensor or the crank sensor right? Is there a way to test the cam sensor to see if that is the problem, in an effort to avoid having to get behind my timing belt? D:

Edit: upon further reading, I saw someone say the relay won't be triggered unless the crank sensor is triggered? So if my relay works, should my crank sensor be fine?

If so, that leaves my cam sensor right?

Thanks a lot guys.
    Last edited by HungarianHunter; 08-26-2011 at 03:16 PM
    So I assume you're bisexual then? you look like vin diesel..so you must like the cock

He had thought TGC was gone ^^^ lol @ tgc.org

Some one help this guy out! I haven't heard of this before other than the car being out of time or the distributor not working anymore. I don't think it's that, but who knows.

Tried helping over FB but didn't come up with a logical answer.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well I know the crank sensor will cut all spark if its shot. I would start there since its not difficult.

p.s. sorry if I don't make much sense its my bday and my bros got me drinking. Just trying to help whenever I can
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Well I know the crank sensor will cut all spark if its shot. I would start there since its not difficult.

p.s. sorry if I don't make much sense its my bday and my bros got me drinking. Just trying to help whenever I can
    haha. log off and drink more =)

Sorry for off-topic post.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well IIRC the cam sensor is cheaper than fuel pump, just replace, see where it gets you...

Yeah do the easy cheap stuff first then post up.

M-rod what a trooper, helping out a fellow Galant enthusiast even on his birthday haha. Happy birthday man.

And thanks a lot Keith :)

Alright guys, really appreciate the replies, I'm gonna get a refund for the fuel pump and replace the cam sensor first, and I'll post the results.

I love TGC, you guys haven't let me down yet lol

Not the camshaft position sensor :(

Would my last option be the crankshaft position sensor?

Did you check your relays? look for some type of ignition control module relay. when you pull that relay the engine should crank regularly but wont fire up like normal.

But try your crank sensor first

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

I'd like to make the crankshaft position sensor my final option lol, that's a bitch.

I'll have an OBDII diagnostic tool tomorrow, we can go from there.

The relay for the fuel pump is fine, it clicks on when I turn on accessory, but the fuel pump stays off, and I have no spark.

original thread:
    http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...=216870&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by DSMTALK
    got a call from AMS today. For the low price of $100 I got to find out how stupid I really am. They told me I had the crank position sensor on backwards. I know I am dumb no need to rip on me anymore. They turned it around and it fired right up. They are giving it a tune and I am going to pick it up on friday. I cant wait to finally drive it. Thank you guys for all your help. Ill post my HP numbers when I get it back and when I learn how to launch it right ill post some track times too. Again thanks to all of you for your help I got lots of good ideas from you guys but in the end it was my own stupidity that was the problem.
    Sounds like the crank position sensor to me. Make sure it is not installed backwards when you replace it lol.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Haha thanks Keith.

The good (and at the same time frustrating...) part about this is that I've already done all of the stuff that I'm going to have to do once before, when my timing belt snapped. I'm sure you remember that fiasco haha. So I'll know what I'm doing, but I also know how much of a PITA it is.

OBDII sensor tonight after work, and if it ends up being the CKP Sensor I'll just have to man up and do work lol

lol! That's the spirit. Time to nut-up or shut-up.

Wish there was another way to make sure that was the problem. Hopefully the OBDII scanner just confirms that's the answer.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Yes sir, that's exactly what it did, confirmed what we already diagnosed it to be:

"P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction"

Time to replace the CKP Sensor :)

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    Yes sir, that's exactly what it did, confirmed what we already diagnosed it to be:

If you didn't get a quality brand last time, please do so this time lol.
    Glad you found the problem! That's awesome.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post

Ouch!!! Good Lucks man.

The crankshaft position sensor will cut spark and fuel on most late model Mitsus. I'm surprised the fuel pump relay clicked.

check the belt as well, because the CKP doesn't JUST fail. it could have been hit by a strand of the belt starting to come loose. I see this a lot on Lancers and 8G's.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

^ Happened to me in my 3G.

4g63lover hit it on the head, my balance shaft belt snapped.

So, here is where I stand:

Replaced the balance shaft belt, replaced the sensor, got the timing all right, and went to see if she would fire up. Sounded like she wanted to, but no cigar. I read the engine codes again, same code as before. I go to look at the sensor, it's broken.

This is how the sensor looks:

^^Big chunk missing, brand new sensor^^

When I actually went and looked at what the sensor does, I noticed that behind the crankshaft sprocket there is a brass colored metal ring, that spins and goes through the sensor, which is magnetic, and that's how it senses what is going on.

^^The ring I need to take off, behind the crankshaft sprocket^^

So, my newest theory is that the belt snapping bent the metal ring a bit, which now hits the sensor when it turns over. This sound right?

And if it does, how would I go about taking off the big bolt that holds the crankshaft sprocket on? Cuz I'll need to take that off to get that ring off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast