The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need to replace ecu

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

need to replace ecu

hey everybody, after i scanned my car i got the code for the idle control, well i switched the part out, but it stills acts up, i know its in properly so im thinking it's the ecu making the idle speed act up, anyone know where the ECU is located? i know its probably in the center dash, but i want to be sure before i go out in the hot sun to the junkyard and spend gas and two dollars to get in, thanks!

TGC Regular
    yeah, its right behind the center bezel in your dash. there are 4 clamps ( in the corners ) that hold in the bezel, careful not to break them. its very hard not tooo. try to pull evenly on the sides. or use a flat head to pry it every so carefully. but after u get that off there, u will be able to see your ECU. right below your air conditioning controls bolted to the car. I broke one of my clips that old in the bezel, but it still holds in very tight.

Providing u have the 8g.. its probably in the same spot on the 7g's too though, but im not certain on that
    Last edited by Eclipse97526; 08-26-2011 at 04:19 PM

Bro. PCM should be your last option. Bad idle could be so many things. Did you check your MAF? all the vacuums lines? Did you clean the TB? Did you try to reset the PCM. So it could relearn the idle. You need to drive a few miles so it could get a avg reading.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Bro. PCM should be your last option. Bad idle could be so many things. Did you check your MAF? all the vacuums lines? Did you clean the TB? Did you try to reset the PCM. So it could relearn the idle. You need to drive a few miles so it could get a avg reading.
    yea, i actually replaced the entire throttle body, and i cleaned the new one before i put it in, i know all vacuum lines are good too, the reason i would have though it was the ecu was because i already did everything else possible, and i thought it was weird that even after i put the new TB in it still acted up in the same way (idle goes up, down, up, down) and i replaced it a while ago too, plus i wanna get the ecu since tomorrow my friend is going to the junkyard, so i figured i might as well ya know?
    so do you think i should replace the ecu? cuz i don't wanna spend time and money if there are any other possibilities as to what is causing the bad idle

all in all the idle problem has had me confused for the longest time!

Did you try another MAF?

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

TGC Regular
    It has a better chance of having a vacumn leak somewhere then your PCM not reading correctly. When there is a vacumn leak, that consist air leaks as well. Did you check your intake gaskets and body as well?

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

I would check other things like hoses and gaskets thoroughly.

couldn't get new ecu cuz i got a job and i've been busy,

and thanks for the suggestions to check for leaks and the MAF sensor, i've still been confused though cuz i had my friend take a look at it and he says it didn't look like there were leaks, and that it actually looked good, as far as the MAF sensor, i have two so i've switched em before and haven't noticed anything really different,

ive been wanting to put cold air intake lately though, cuz i thought maybe id find the problem out while installing it, or after it's all set up, but now im pretty busy these days

TGC Regular
    How did your friend check? From what your saying, he didnt do much but a visual check. Air leaks can be the intake manifold gasket on top or bottom, also this may just be a personal preference. But I want you to check the the part where the throttle body is bolted on the intake mani for any cracks. While the car is running, use spray a little choke cleaner on it and see if it increase in RPM by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    How did your friend check? From what your saying, he didnt do much but a visual check. Air leaks can be the intake manifold gasket on top or bottom, also this may just be a personal preference. But I want you to check the the part where the throttle body is bolted on the intake mani for any cracks. While the car is running, use spray a little choke cleaner on it and see if it increase in RPM by itself.
    yea he did just basically do a visual inspection,
    sounds like a good idea, i changed the throttle body though, so i know the gasket is new and i saw no cracks but i might as well try ^_^ should i spray where the air goes (forgot what it was called) its the stock air intake thingy so i noticed a while ago it did LOOK cracked but it didn't look like any went through

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    how is it idling? did you check the biss screw and o ring to ensure its adjuated and/or not leaking as that can cause a vac leak. ecu is least lkely to go.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    how is it idling? did you check the biss screw and o ring to ensure its adjuated and/or not leaking as that can cause a vac leak. ecu is least lkely to go.
    it idles up and down almost to the point where it turns off, but it doesn't it just shakes alot, goes up to about 900 and down to 300ish rpm or lower, and on neutral its idles like at 1100 which surprises me, and it doesnt move up or down, it idles just fine, but i think that's a bit high
    and the o ring? do you mean the sensor?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta Pikachu View Post
    yea he did just basically do a visual inspection,
    sounds like a good idea, i changed the throttle body though, so i know the gasket is new and i saw no cracks but i might as well try ^_^ should i spray where the air goes (forgot what it was called) its the stock air intake thingy so i noticed a while ago it did LOOK cracked but it didn't look like any went through
    I'm not talking about the actual tb bolt on, but right after. Just spray where you think it might be a crack or leak.

FYI: The idea of using choke cleaner spray is it temporarily seals the air leak and the idle improves when the air leak is sealed. The improvement of the idle is what tells you have an air leak. Of course the improvement is only temporary but it helps you narrow down where the air leak if any is located
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

tps???