The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Want to "mildly" build motor

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Icon5 Want to "mildly" build motor

i want to purchase a spare 4g64t engine to tear apart and build up some as money comes in and was wondering what would be best parts to order first and formost i'm not looking to be spoon fed. just directed the right way. Also i was wondering which headers would fit with megan drift-spec cat back exhaust easiest.

any help is greatly appreciated,
    Brett
    2000 G-lant ES

the stock 4g64 block has been proven to hold up its own in the forced induction field. Depending on your goals, you might just want to get a spare to rebuild with oem parts.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

thats what i want to do since my g is my daily driver. and i do want it to be able to handle forced induction incase i decide do go that way. which i will...someday. also still wanting to manual swap also. can anyone answer my exhaust question above? thanks,

brett
    2000 G-lant ES

Generally speaking, the headers should match up to your cat back. I think they are pretty standard lengths when they are made.
    Sticking with the same brand for both would be the best though

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

If you're going turbo get rid of your POS exhaust.

TGC Regular
    id just save up and buy the stuff as you can afford it... when me and my friend built his eclipse we just bought everything slowly at first. got rings and bearings first. then he got the nice springs and valves. and intercooler setup. had the engine just chillin in the garage for months... while he got the turbo and everything... then he had to save up a good amount, cause we bought the crank + pistons and had all the machine work done at once, and started putting it all together. just make sure you wait till you get all the parts you need before you start. save the machine work till last. but i would defiantly get a new exhaust on there first. even on the stock setup. that way it will be ready to go. and there is tons and tons of other work you will have to do :) sounds like fun man ! :) i want another engine to work on for my 8g. want to find a totaled evo 8 and buy the motor from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526 View Post
    id just save up and buy the stuff as you can afford it... when me and my friend built his eclipse we just bought everything slowly at first. got rings and bearings first. then he got the nice springs and valves. and intercooler setup. had the engine just chillin in the garage for months... while he got the turbo and everything... then he had to save up a good amount, cause we bought the crank + pistons and had all the machine work done at once, and started putting it all together. just make sure you wait till you get all the parts you need before you start. save the machine work till last. but i would defiantly get a new exhaust on there first. even on the stock setup. that way it will be ready to go. and there is tons and tons of other work you will have to do :) sounds like fun man ! :) i want another engine to work on for my 8g. want to find a totaled evo 8 and buy the motor from it.
    thanks alot. and there is a close by 4g63 for sale but i don't have the skills to swap
    2000 G-lant ES

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    If you're going turbo get rid of your POS exhaust.
    thats what i was doing first. stock isn't holding up well. skunk2 muffler is tho. but want all new setup. if you don't like me or my car ignore my name on this forum. no need to thread bash. thats u actually are this time. if your not then thanks for the advice. :)
    2000 G-lant ES

I have no idea who you are :shrug:

Get a custom exhaust made.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    I have no idea who you are :shrug:

Get a custom exhaust made.
    well then i apoligize. but go look back you left a nice opinion on one of my threads. but yeah would i end up spending more money for custom?
    2000 G-lant ES

Probably, however with a custom exhaust you can get exactly what you want/need to best fit your goals.

OBX 4-2 long headers will be good.

If you going turbo and and be at the 200+ HP. You will need to upgrade your piping to a 2.5 or more.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Weight.

Headers on an I4? And a header on a turbo car?

Does not compute.

^^^ what. I think he is looking for regular headers. Not a turbo exhaust mani.
    I was talking about for a future turbo upgrade. I'm answering his firs question.

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Now I'm confused.

OP: Do you want to go turbo or not?

^^^LOL. You got me confused...
    Let him clear it up a bit.

SOHC Turbo

I believe he wants to build a spare motor but have it strong enough for turbo, if he ever goes that way.

Okay so here is the deal every where you look you will find out that the stock 4g64 will handel up to 19 psi bone stock. However the weakest part of the motor is the head if you wish to make it easy upgrade you internals i.e. valves, springs, cams, and of coarse do a complete rebuild on the bottom end. Also it would def. not be a bad idea to use arp head studs and a good head gasket but you could also use diff. pistons to lower comp. to make it safer for a bit more boost.

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    I believe he wants to build a spare motor but have it strong enough for turbo, if he ever goes that way.
    hit it right on the head ha i don't have cash to go turbo just yet. just want the motor stronger if i do decide to do that. because after motor build i will do m/t swap. then worry about turbo.
    2000 G-lant ES

If Turbo custom exhaust or Evo Greddy muffler.