The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Top Gear inspired brake job

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Top Gear inspired brake job

So I was watching top gear the other day and they were going over the zonda, which has quad piston carbon ceramic brake rotors/pads all around and goes from ~120 to 0 in 4 seconds.

I know I drive a sedan and not a carbon fiber f1 inspired supercar, so I cant expect numbers QUITE like that, but I would like to explore the option. So, lets say money isnt a issue, how would I go about upgrading my stock 7g to something similar to that set up? Would I basically have to build everything custom? Are there some kind of racing evo brakes I could use as a start?

use search

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    The 8G Galants use the Brembo's from Evo's as a cheap means of a "Big Brake Kit" (BBK). You could probably call up wilwood or any of the other big names and have a custom BBK made for you car, if one isn't already available for the 7G or 2G Eclipse (I don't know if the brake components swap over or not).

Another thing you would have to worry about is actually being able to grip the road to slow down. Those Zonda's have HUGE tires, which allows the use of such enormous brakes and therefore the huge amount of stopping power. Too much stopping power on not enough width of a tire is just going to make you go sliding if you don't have ABS.

yea im pretty sure youll be able to lock the tires with stock brakes...

ah I didnt consider the tire size

Best bet is look for a BBK for a 2g eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    The 8G Galants use the Brembo's from Evo's as a cheap means of a "Big Brake Kit" (BBK). You could probably call up wilwood or any of the other big names and have a custom BBK made for you car, if one isn't already available for the 7G or 2G Eclipse (I don't know if the brake components swap over or not).

Another thing you would have to worry about is actually being able to grip the road to slow down. Those Zonda's have HUGE tires, which allows the use of such enormous brakes and therefore the huge amount of stopping power. Too much stopping power on not enough width of a tire is just going to make you go sliding if you don't have ABS.

Just a side note here:

2g eclipse non turbo brakes can be swapped onto the 4cyl 8g galant without any mods. The turbo eclipse (GSX) is identical to the eclipse gt(2000-2002) / galant v6(1999-2001) / 1999-2004? Diamante
    2g eclipse gst brakes have the v6 rear disc and the 4cyl 8g front disc.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

If money wasn't an issue, call wilwood/stoptech/baer and have they make you a custom set. Now if you we're on a budget, brembos from evo like everyone is saying.

TGC Regular
    http://youtu.be/HVEh7uuoIlE

cool video of his progression. But i stopped helping him once he got a house in Washington and started going to kaizen speed :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJxR...er_profilepage

as far as the breaks go. id get a big brake kit from brembo, or wildwood, for the Evo 8 and install that baby. you might need the knuckle from the 8g for the setup to bolt up correctly :) and might have to do some mods, i think you need at least 18's for the rotors to fit, im not sure there. Havent been able to do it myself unfortunatly, them kits are expensive !!!

But you can build the crap outta the 4g63 if you have a 6 bolt you have an excellent starting platform . the 7bolt you are more prone to crank walk when u get up past 400 hp . but the sky is the limit, my friend alex has about 50 g's into his eclipse. 40 k of that is into the engine. but that includes the 3 different turbo and intercooler setups he bought before he ran what hes got now. with the air / water intercooler . but he is now running low 9 seconds 1/4 miles
    Last edited by Eclipse97526; 08-30-2011 at 02:47 PM

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Just a side note here:

2g eclipse non turbo brakes can be swapped onto the 4cyl 8g galant without any mods. The turbo eclipse (GSX) is identical to the eclipse gt(2000-2002) / galant v6(1999-2001) / 1999-2004? Diamante
    2g eclipse gst brakes have the v6 rear disc and the 4cyl 8g front disc.
    Really ? i thought you needed the rear break setup from a 2000-2005 eclipse gt to do the rear disc conversion on the 8g's ? the 2g eclipse setup will work too ??? i have one, but i havent torn my ride apart and tried it.. i was lookin for the 00-05 rear end

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526 View Post
    Really ? i thought you needed the rear break setup from a 2000-2005 eclipse gt to do the rear disc conversion on the 8g's ? the 2g eclipse setup will work too ??? i have one, but i havent torn my ride apart and tried it.. i was lookin for the 00-05 rear end
    I can compare when I get home and post my finds. I'm 90% sure my info is correct though. I'll get back to this thread.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse