The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Snow tire/wheel options

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Snow tire/wheel options

Moving to Michigan and want to get snow tires this winter. At first I was thinking of getting a set of steelies to run them on. Looks like they won't hook up with the air pressure system. Would that be a problem other then having the pressure light on all winter?

As far as the tires go, they are pretty much the same price at the 215/60/16 size or my stock 215/55/17 size.

I just thought it'd be preferable to keep the current tires on the wheels in storage all winter and put the snow tires on steelies for the winter, the steelies run about $50 a piece at a salvage yard.

I live up here in Canada, and I run 16" steelies on my Ralliart (205-65-16, Stock = 235-45-18) size I believe, 3 years thus far.
    Your TPMS system will be fine, you'll just have a light on since there will be no read outs. But no harm will come to your car.

You can get steelies brand new for 50$ if you look for sales... just a little FYI.
    Also, it's usually better to run a thinner snow tire, it helps "cut" into the snow... But I don't know which model of car you have.

It's best to have 2 separate sets of tires on wheels for this application. If you keep swapping tires between 1 set of rims, this can have a effect on your tire bead from stretching over and over, causing possible leaks. I've had this happen a few times.

-M

The bead was another concern of mine. I was also thinking they would store better inflated. I'm familiar with tires having problems from sitting in one spot too long but I figure that's more of an issue when there's a car sitting on top of them.

I've got a 06 gts