The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: FrancisTheGook's trying to get the 7g back on the road

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

FrancisTheGook's trying to get the 7g back on the road

Well I'll keep it short. I'm 16, inexperienced, armed with a hayens manual and the internet, and am attempting to swap a used engine into my family's old 5 speed galant that has been sitting in the driveway since 2008.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I'm not good at taking them hahah. More pictures, and better ones, will come soon!

Now I already disconnected the hoses and my friends(also inexperienced) and I were trying to pull the engine to no avail. I've been reading on these forums that the engine can be pulled without actually removing the transmission from the car, so all we did was unbolt all the connections, but when we actually tried pulling the motor the flywheel was caught onto the transmission and there was no angle we could pull the motor where the flywheel/clutch wouldn't be still in the transmission.
    Would a load leveler solve this problem or do I really need to pull the transmission in order to pull out the motor?
    I'm desperate for help
    Last edited by FrancisTheGook; 08-31-2011 at 08:10 PM

Its better to pull the tranny with it! good luck

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    yeah seriously, just pull the transmission out with it, especially if it's a manual tranny (which means you wouldn't have some 8 qt's of fluid to drain).

It might seem like more trouble, but believe me, it's a whole lot easier removing the axles and stuff than to try to squeeze the engine or tranny in while the other is already in there.

Some tools, Haynes manual, the internet, and some motivation. That's all you need. That's all I had at least :)

damn, well i already have gotten to the point where realigning the tranny and engine back together will be impossible, so I'll just have to listen to the haynes manual and pull the tranny first : /

Well I'll keep it short. I'm 16, inexperienced, armed with a hayens manual and the internet, and am attempting to swap a used engine into my family's old 5 speed galant that has been sitting in the driveway since 2008.
    well, it seems like you have plenty of information ahead of you, you have plenty of time ahead of you to learn, see if (if you haven't taken any already) your highschool has autoshop classes, that will help you out getting more experence, good luck with fixing your 7g up so it's running again