The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1994 galant problem

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

1994 galant problem

I have a 1994 galant that doens't want to start.
    I took the batt out, leave it for 30 min out, put it back,switch the car, check engine comes on, after the car stop beeping, the check engine stays on.
    The car turns over but doesn't start.
    It has spark and fuel.
    I've bought a car computer scanner, when i scan the car , it tells me it is unable to read data on the car.
    Do you guys think that the ecu is fried?

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant View Post
    I have a 1994 galant that doens't want to start.
    I took the batt out, leave it for 30 min out, put it back,switch the car, check engine comes on, after the car stop beeping, the check engine stays on.
    The car turns over but doesn't start.
    It has spark and fuel.
    I've bought a car computer scanner, when i scan the car , it tells me it is unable to read data on the car.
    Do you guys think that the ecu is fried?
    I could be wrong about this, but I believe that if you've got fuel and spark, the ECU is at least partially working. Have you verified that the engine timing is correct? With correct engine timing, fuel + spark + air should = a running engine. Try to get a second opinion on the OBDII scanner, just to rule out whether or not your scanner is at fault. Maybe borrow one from a neighbor or have Autozone or Advance Auto try and read it for you?

EDIT: It's a '94? And you actually have an OBDII port under the dashboard? I thought that OBDII was for 95+. If you've got an OBDII scanner trying to read an OBDI ECU, you won't get anything. I'm not even sure if there's a place for it to plug in lol
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 09-02-2011 at 11:51 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

My car a 1996 car, and I've put a 1994 engine in it with 1994 harness and ecu.
    The car was running fine till one day the fuelpump was gone.
    I put a new fuelp in, when i went to start the car it started, but then shuts down.
    Then it didn't want to start again.
    I didn't start it for 3 days, then went back it starts right up, when for a spin, getting back home the engine shuts down.
    2 days after it started on again and I leave the engine run for 1 hour, went put it in reverse than back in drive engine went off again.
    Till today it didn't start anymore.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    94 harness and ecu requires a special scanner as it's an obd2 plug with obd1 codes. The obd2 is by far better and I'm shocked you switched as between the 2 the only difference is no crank sensor as it's in the 94-5 distributor.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

My car a 1996 car, and I've put a 1994 engine in it with 1994 harness and ecu.
    The car was running fine till one day the fuelpump was gone.
    I put a new fuelp in, when i went to start the car it started, but then shuts down.
    Then it didn't want to start again.
    I didn't start it for 3 days, then went back it starts right up, when for a spin, getting back home the engine shuts down.
    2 days after it started on again and I leave the engine run for 1 hour, went put it in reverse than back in drive engine went off again.
    Till today it didn't start anymore.
    Have you checked the fuel pump relay and the wiring going to the fuel pump?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Essentially Galanttuner10 is telling you is unless you have a special code reader you can't use a code reader to read codes on a 94 galant. An OBD2 reader will hook up to a 94 plug but it can't read the codes. That is why you got a no data response. On a 94 you have to flash the codes by shorting out two of the positions on the plug. The procedures for doing thsi is listed somewhere here on GTC (use the search) you can also find it covered in Haynes or Chilton manuals.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

If you have or can get a fuel pressure gauge try checking your pressure when cranking. I'll bet you don't have enough pressure to run. It should be up around 40 psi (not sure of the exact number).
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

But does bad fuelpressure makes the check engine lights come on?
    When I switch the car and the check engine light comes on, I know for sure the car doesn't gona start.

If I remember right, when the car doesn't start the check engine light stays on. It always comes on when the car is first powered up as does the airbag light and a few others. Some of them only turn off after the car has been running for a few seconds.

If the only thing you've changed since it was running before was the fuel pump then fuel is almost certainly your issue.

If the car just randomly died and you replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the problem you guessed wrong and something else was bad in the first place.

If my first guess is right you'll need to check your fuel pressure. You may not have a good electrical connection at the pump or you may have a faulty new pump.

If it is unrelated you'll need to follow other people's advice and jump those connectors to start looking for ecu codes.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

On my galant normaly when you switch the car, it start beeping the lights come on,airbag, batt check engine lights come on.
    When the beep stop the check engine turns off.
    But I will start checking for codes

When the beep stop the check engine turns off.
    You can still have codes, but the codes aren't important enough to trigger the MIL. Although if your ECU did detect a problem with your fuel pump the MIL would definitely be on. Check that fuel pump relay

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    If my first guess is right you'll need to check your fuel pressure.

+1. Do that as well.

HI i was cheking my car today, I've loosen the fuel rail, and crank the car, no fuel was comming out the injectors.
    It has fuel in the fuel rail, but no fuel comming out the injectors when cranking.
    I've also put a volt meter on the injector wires and it shows 11.79 volts on all the injectors
    Last edited by microgalant; 09-15-2011 at 09:00 PM

You don't have any fuel pressure. If you did those injectors would have popped out of the rail. Did you check your pressure with a gauge like I suggested?

Yeah sounds like you don't have fuel pressure.

Your injectors are always hot. the ecu opens injectors by grounding the circuit.
    If you are cranking your engine, and the ecu is operating properly,
    then you should be able to feel the injectors pulsing with your fingers.

Side note, to make sure its not your ecu, or a timing signal issue. check for spark.
    If your spark plugs are firing, then 99% positive there is nothign wrong with your ecu, and 100% positive that your engine is getting a crank and cam timing signal.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yes my sparkplugs are getting spark

there is a fuel pump check terminal on the firewall near the solenoid rack. Run a jumper wire from that to the battery positive and it should energize the fuel pump.

If you are properly executing this test, and the pump does not cycle, then odds are your fuel pump isn't getting power, or is shot.

Did you check all of your fuses?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

The fuelpump is working, I have a walbro in it,I can hear it wining.
    Yes I've checked all the fuses one by one

Ok guys, I've put another ecu in, and the car started right away.
    One problem that i have is that the fuelpump is gone again, this is seond time.
    When i got the engine and harness the blue/black wire is cut in the engine compartment.
    I took the blue/black wire from the fuelpump and wire it on the one under the hood, but when I switch the car I can hear the fuelpump wining but very slow,once I start it, its wine good again.
    Where else can i wire the fuelpump?

Glad you found the problem. However, the fuel pump isn't supposed to be on when the engine isn't turning over or running. It is a safety thing. It shuts off when the engine dies so it doesn't pump fuel all over the place in an accident. It sounds like you may have bypassed that somehow if it is whining when the ignition is just on. That likely means the pump is drawing power from the wrong place and may not end up getting enough juice.

If you don't already have the factory 7g manuals, which are available on the site, I'd suggest downloading them and checking the wiring diagram for the fuel system. It should show you how to correct the wiring and fix your fuel pump issue.

EDIT: Also, here is my fuel pump rewire tech article from DSM Tuners. We don't have the empty socket under the dash like the 1g DSM does. You can just put the relay in the back of the car or somewhere else if you do this.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 10-23-2011 at 09:55 AM