The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing the headgasket

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Replacing the headgasket

Guys its been a while but got some problems this week, on the way home the radiator blew and the engine overheated so now i have to replace the headgasket. I have been reading and so far its doesnt look like a bad job, anyone care to give me some pointers or helping ideas to make things smoother.

The head is good the car still runs and driver good just that its leaking oil between the head and the black on the distributor side. I also checked and there is no sign of antifreeze in the oil. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Might want to double check that it isn't something else. Use a dye kit and look closely for the exact spot of leak it may just be the distributor or valve cover especially if it runs good.

Yeah it's the gasket it was completely gone, I changed it and put everything back to normal but now I messed the timing on the distributor so I have to alight the block with the distributor
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If the motor didn't run at a extended period of time overheated and temps didn't go too high...its very possible that the head gasket hasn't failed. If you can get a hold of a compression tester..that can let you know if the head gasket failed or not.

Oil leaking around the distributor could be a bad O-ring seal.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo