The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which oil to use?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Icon5 Which oil to use?

so the '01 ES now has ~135,000 miles. i've been using fully synthetic 10w-30(for the last 2 oil changes), is this the right kind of oil to start using? the oil light does flicker sometimes while idling, but i've checked the oil level and it's fine. it can also be the oil level sensor, which i know is faulty on these cars. thanks!

We got oil level sensors? I don't have a low oil light that I know of. Anyway, I've used 5w30 full synthetic of different brands, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, etc, and so far so good at 171000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

If the light is flashing it means there is low oil pressure. I'd bet you oil pressure sending unit is faulty.

Possible a faulty oil switch...or the pump could be clogged.

But the fact that it comes on with full oil, the oil pump is showing early signs of kicking the bucket, or the screen could be filled with debris, straining the pump.

With that mileage, I'd drop the pan and inspect the pump and screen.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

People will recommend all sorts of brands, it comes down to what you can afford and which brand you like. 5w30 or 10w30 is fine. As for light flicker, Oil sensor is going and its about five bucks for it.

what did you use... cuz when i used Pennzoil 5w-30.... it did the same thing.... i even bet it clean the lines or whatever, like it said it would but people think i'm crazy in the first place...

"Triangle Circle Triangle Square"

^ Uh what?

thanks fellas. another question, what mileage should the timing belt be changed? i have the haynes manual, and damn, changing it looks like a pain.

The Haynes repair manual recommends every 100,000k miles or 84months under normal driving conditions. I changed mine back at 90k a couple months after I got it used at 72k

IIRC it's every 60k per Mitsu

Yeah it is deffinantly every 60,000 miles guys.Changing it at 100,000 is way to risky.Also when you change the timing belt make sure you change the tensioners and idler pulleys.Also make sure you use an OEM timing belt.The ones from autoparts stores have been known to break at 20,000 miles.Also if you have a 4 cylinder there is a tuturial on here for changing the timing belt.

^^Add water pump and balance shaft belt to that.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    Yeah it is deffinantly every 60,000 miles guys.Changing it at 100,000 is way to risky.Also when you change the timing belt make sure you change the tensioners and idler pulleys.Also make sure you use an OEM timing belt.The ones from autoparts stores have been known to break at 20,000 miles.Also if you have a 4 cylinder there is a tuturial on here for changing the timing belt.
    If that was the case, I would've had a few broken belts by now. Your statement about premature failure makes sense when economy grade belts are used, but I've used Gates belts with no issues whatsoever.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I have about 40k on the Daycos I got from Autozone and no problmes. Although I will go oem next time.