The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exhaust for 4cyl

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Exhaust for 4cyl

Iwas wondering if anyone has swapped their exhaust in a 2004 4cyl. I was wanting a better sound to the car. I know its a 4cyl and automatic. But is there anything I can do that will make it sound deeper and not terrible. I would appreciate feedback. Thank you

Several have. I think you might need another resonator depending on what you want. Look for a cat- and axle-back exhausts.

Check the member rides section for a better idea. 4 bangers can have a lotta rasp if done improperly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome...
    -Andrew

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by luketheiceman05 View Post
    Iwas wondering if anyone has swapped their exhaust in a 2004 4cyl. I was wanting a better sound to the car. I know its a 4cyl and automatic. But is there anything I can do that will make it sound deeper and not terrible. I would appreciate feedback. Thank you
    There would be more people here that have changed out there exhaust than people that haven't :) but what do you want to know ? i was actually doing my exhaust on the intent of going Turbo, but i love the sound of it anyways :)

i removed the entire exaust from the cat back, and installed a 2 3/4 inch exaust. ( 2 resignators were removed also ) then ran it straight to a OBX muffler... so all that it goes through is the cat. then to the muffler. i also did the cold air intake at the same time. so it really made it sound nice. Not like a rice burner nice. a deep sound, and a nice feel kinda nice. ive also done other work that further improved the sound of the exhaust. and as well as picked up a few ponys... and a few i mean a few. you are maybe looking at a 5 hp gain by upgrading your intake and exhaust and all that. Really it makes little difference on a N/A car. besides the sound ;) But as far as removing the resignators, im sure it would probably still pass an emissions test. But im not sure on that, i live in oregon, and there isnt really much in the ways of laws for our enviroment. Not sure where you are located. but its worth a shot imo . id just keep your old exaust layin around, so if you fail an emissions test or something, you can just go bolt it back on and test it for a pass, then throw your old setup back on, but as long as you dont remove the cat, and install a down pipe or something, and basicly remove everything to the exaust, you should be alright :) But if the Rice burner sound dont bother you. you can keep the 1 1/2 stock exaust and just cut the muffler out and replace it with what you perfer... if u want a quiet Purring sound, go with Flowmaster. if you want a louder sound go with a more open bigger canister type exaust. I went with the OBX muffler. it was the biggist that would fit on my car without contact with my rear bumper . and its pretty loud, but not the sound the honda engines make lol. its a throaty sound our 2.4's put out

here in GP you can just roll in a shop, and get them to tear off your old system and install new pipe for about 100 $ (150 for the 2 3/4 inch ) then they charged me another 25 $ to weld my muffler, on. the muffler was around 150 . so it was a 300 $ job for me. and i just kept my stock cat- i didnt want to spend more money on a pointless pipe that will just throw my check engine light on, and not really offer any performance gain. there are 2 other resignantors you remove that are under there, and that will open the sound up enough trust me ;))

But ideally. you want around 2 1/2 inch exhaust. anything more than that and you will start loosing exhaust compression unless you got some forced induction going on ;) but you are safe going to 2.75 . i know i love the sound of it.. but if u go to 3" you will notice a decrease in performance
    Last edited by Eclipse97526; 09-06-2011 at 01:20 PM

everything eclipse97526 said is correct. I went to a local muffler shop here in Toronto to get a catback exhaust. the owner who has been there for 25yrs looked at the exhaust system of the galant and he said " that is the straightest pipe" he has ever seen. He added, even the bend going over the control arm is mandrel bent. Our exhaust piping size is 2.39 inches and to go 2.5 inches will be a waste of money. He does not recommend 3" piping for N/A engine, turbo-yes. After trying different mufflers I ended up getting a flowmaster #842451 muffler. Now I love the sound of my 3.8L V6, deep and throaty. I should have taken off the resonator.. oh well next time