The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Really Weird Issue

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Really Weird Issue

So the other day I get to work and go to shut off my car. Well I pull the key out but the car is still running! I turned the ignition back on and off....nothing. SO I left the car running to tell my boss I had to take the car home. I get back and there iscoolant spilling out and shit....I look and it seems my car hates to idle. It was backflow from the radiator. Once I moved the car the temps went back down. So I drive the thing home and park it...this time when I turned the key it shut off. Any ideas? Obviously an ignition problem...but where

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Maybe it is the ignition itself.As for the over flow the thermostat could have been stuck.

It is the ignition lock cylinder that has failed. Replace that and you will also need a new key to go with it. Then as far as the coolant overheated? Did it come from the radiator? If so, start with the replacement of the thermostat and radiator cap. Then that should help the coolant system be properly sealed and pressurized. It would be ideal to pressure test the coolant system. But also prudent to replace what I'd already mentioned. Hopefully it didn't overheat too much, or it was just a failed radiator cap or tstat.

How high did the temperature get?Did the key just not want to turn back to the off position?I believe there is a relay or a fuse for the igniton check those and make sure they are good also.

The electrical side of ignition switch itself is the likely issue. Yes it would be related to the overheating if it is hung up between 2 positions not allowing accessories/power to radiator fans.

this happened to a friend of mine's 8g, shut the car off and the car kept running, however this also killed power to the accessories, so the engine was running but there was no power to the accessories (weird) anyways, it turned out to be a faulty ignition switch

after thinking about it...the reason it over heated is because technically the car was off. So the thermostat wasnt working or any of the other monitors. So the overheating aint an issue...I was told by my mechanic that the electrical side like arctic said may be the issue

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    after thinking about it...the reason it over heated is because technically the car was off. So the thermostat wasnt working or any of the other monitors. So the overheating aint an issue...I was told by my mechanic that the electrical side like arctic said may be the issue
    Yeah the ignition switch and the ignition is two pieces so you would be better off getting both parts.The ignition switch assembly costs around $95.And the cylinder with keys is around $37 at the dealer.

not sure about the cyl...but the switch is probably shot or on its way out

Yeah the switch comes seperate but you have take it all apart to change just the one part and that costs around $45 just for that so might as well get the entire switch assembly.The lock assembly should come out but i would be afraid of it breaking.

Just take off steering column cover, disconnect wire plug and remove 2 screws holding switch in place. Its so easy a caveman can do it.

Says the caveman! LOL

I would really rather not switch the keys....i'd then have two sets of keys. One to start the car and one to open the doors....sounds like a pain. I'm gonna check the switch and keep yall informed. Thanks for the help peeps

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    YOu shouldn't have to replace the key cylinder...the switch is seperate and is easy to replace. Like what Artic said..just 2 screws holding it in to the column assembly.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

anyone have a part number?

don't have a part # but can send you a good used one for free just pay shipping and its yours

shit...find out how much. I'll take that. lol
    check your pm