The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best Paint for rubber?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Icon5 Best Paint for rubber?

I've painted my armrest on the middle console a few times and every time the paint rubs away and it looks awful. I figured I'm always rubbing on it but I don't think that's entirely the problem. I took the rubber off and wrapped the plastic in vinyl but It looks pretty ugly because it's such a small piece and you can't get away with it without showing the folds..Anyone else paint the arm rest? what did you use? I'm looking at paints for rubber surfaces but I'd like to hear some feedback.

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

TGC Regular
    tried vinyl wrapping?

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    I took the rubber off and wrapped the plastic in vinyl but It looks pretty ugly because it's such a small piece and you can't get away with it without showing the folds
    yeah he has

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

TGC Regular
    vinyl and vinyl wrapping are made of different materials. Either that or he didnt do it properly, because its showing "folds".

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Would something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_dye

something like VHT SP954, which is what i used.

I've had good luck with this stuff in the past! It seems to work on plastic and the kind of vinyl that is on seats. It might be worth a shot, unless you already tried that.

Also, see if you can use a heat gun to stretch it over the piece, using adhesive and shaping foam if need be. Be very careful with the heat however. You could take it to an upholstery shop, most of them can refinish that part no problem.

You need vinyl upholstery paint, it is available at home depot or lowe's

orieleys has duplicolor vinyl paint, thats decent i used it on my dash.

im just gunna wrap the arm rest though because it gets so much contact.

Pastidip!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    orieleys has duplicolor vinyl paint, thats decent i used it on my dash.

im just gunna wrap the arm rest though because it gets so much contact.
    When you do that let me know how lol. Every way I tried it seemed impossible without showing any folds.

RedGalant that's what I used originally and it kept rubbing and dulling the paint.

And ADExternal, I've never heard of vinyl wrapping I'll have to look that up thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenOath View Post
    Also, see if you can use a heat gun to stretch it over the piece, using adhesive and shaping foam if need be. Be very careful with the heat however. You could take it to an upholstery shop, most of them can refinish that part no problem.
    I didn't have a problem wrapping the top and I didn't need stretching. It was folding it over the front and back that I couldn't figure out. Even cutting reliefs in the vinyl wasn't helping. that link you gave me says use on bare plastic and vinyl..I don't know how well it will work on rubber. I've never used dye but I guess its worth a shot? lol.
    Last edited by Stepsascend; 09-07-2011 at 05:44 AM

You have any pics?