The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Straight Pipe on the v6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    Tihoff88

Straight Pipe on the v6

So im thinking about just cutting off my muffler and putting in a straight pipe, but ive never hurd a v6 (only v8s) with a straight pipe and not sure how it sounds or how loud it is. Anybody run their G with straight pipe befor? and if so how does it sound?

i ran my old g with straight pipe!! no cats no resinaters and a test pipe and it sounded like ass!!!! so imo dont do it,by the way 4 or 6?
    STAY READY AND YOU WONT HAVE TO GET READY!!

I say do it.

I just off my muffler, welded in a straight pipe. I left the rest of the exhaust stock.

http://youtu.be/07Y2_5pNkcg This is the video I made.

Many people on this board have heard my exhaust, and I have had nothing but compliments. You won't be disappointed.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    I say do it.

I just off my muffler, welded in a straight pipe. I left the rest of the exhaust stock.

http://youtu.be/07Y2_5pNkcg This is the video I made.

Many people on this board have heard my exhaust, and I have had nothing but compliments. You won't be disappointed.
    I like the sound.

Most of the people over on the Stratus forum does the same thing.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Tihoff88
    Im running the 6, and polish that does sound damn good. i think im deff going with the straight pipe, doesnt sound riced out at all.

It is a nice sounding engine. But just be aware that you may have local city ordinances against noise pollution. I'd check those first.

Tihoff88
    with all the bros around here running their ricers and mustangs arround im sure my g will go largly unnoticed. but thats why i was wondering how loud running just a straight pipe would be

here is what mine sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9O0luBV8qs

provided that you have a full exhaust system and the tip behind you, you(r hearing) should be just fine, like what several people have said, it sounds amazing running straight pipe (try doing a drag run with it!), I can tell you from experence, it is as loud as it is awsome, last time I went racing, I was told by somebody that my car sounds like a Grand National, this somebody who owns a monster of a GN, so yeah, go for it and be wary of cops

Tihoff88
    oh hey you live in the chicago burbs too? have you had any problems with cops and your exhaust? and we should totaly grab drinks some time lol

yep, though I live way east of you

of my run ins with the police, only once have they actually commented on my exhaust, I live in an area where the cops do take it out on euthusists most of the time, that's just my area, no muffler does make you an easier target for being pulled over, so just be weary of being too hot on the gas when they're out

we can meet up when MOD in Normal goes down

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    provided that you have a full exhaust system and the tip behind you, you(r hearing) should be just fine, like what several people have said, it sounds amazing running straight pipe (try doing a drag run with it!), I can tell you from experence, it is as loud as it is awsome, last time I went racing, I was told by somebody that my car sounds like a Grand National, this somebody who owns a monster of a GN, so yeah, go for it and be wary of cops
    I am sorry I have heard your exhuast clips and they sound nothing alike at all. A grand national is throaty these v6s arent

Here's mine...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxsQFW7ZOoU
    All I did was replace my OEM muffler over the back axel with a JDM muffler 2,5" in and 4" out... My mother who isn't a car fanatic... and dont have a license says that she loves the sound of the car...
    Thomas R aka Valpen
    --------------------
    CEO & Eventmanager
    Mitsubishi Club Sweden

Former New yorker....
    94-10 60th Ave
    113 73 Elmhurst, NY
    School PS13 - then moved to Europe

Tihoff88
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    yep, though I live way east of you

of my run ins with the police, only once have they actually commented on my exhaust, I live in an area where the cops do take it out on euthusists most of the time, that's just my area, no muffler does make you an easier target for being pulled over, so just be weary of being too hot on the gas when they're out

we can meet up when MOD in Normal goes down
    Im actually from Itasca, which is like 20 min south from Schamburg, i just go to school at NIU in dekalb so thats what i put my location at.

but pretty much im just afraid of my exhaust being to loud. im liking the sound alot, but i dont want problems you know?

and what is MOD and when is it lol

Quote Originally Posted by galant1983 View Post
    i ran my old g with straight pipe!! no cats no resinaters and a test pipe and it sounded like ass!!!! so imo dont do it,by the way 4 or 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by galant1983 View Post
    here is what mine sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9O0luBV8qs
    The OP asked about cutting off the muffler and putting a straight pipe in its place. You took out your entire exhaust and stuck on some aftermarket muffler. No wonder you didn't like it.

What you did and what he is asking about are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tihoff88 View Post
    Im running the 6, and polish that does sound damn good. i think im deff going with the straight pipe, doesnt sound riced out at all.
    Its the cheapest and best way to modify the stock V6 exhaust. It does get loud at higher RPMs (5+ plus), but its still not as loud as some rice can that is louder than a straight pipe diesel at idle. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tihoff88 View Post
    Im actually from Itasca, which is like 20 min south from Schamburg, i just go to school at NIU in dekalb so thats what i put my location at.

but pretty much im just afraid of my exhaust being to loud. im liking the sound alot, but i dont want problems you know?

and what is MOD and when is it lol
    with your muffler, if your afraid of the noise, really, you don't have to be, when I drag raced, I had a 2 foot pipe going off my catylitic converter (the remaining part of my mid pipe, but that's a story for another day), it was loud, VERY loud, I had to where ear plugs, BUT when I ran this set up, my exhaust tip was effectively under my car so it was closer to me, however running straight pipe with a complete exhaust system will locate the exhaust tip away from your ears so your should be good, things will be very loud in the winter though, so at least don't throw out your muffler so you can put it back on

MOD= Mitsubishi Owner's Day, it's in Normal, Illinois on the 24th, it's hosted by Mitsubishi themselve's at there plant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=47225

Tihoff88
    Its the cheapest and best way to modify the stock V6 exhaust. It does get loud at higher RPMs (5+ plus), but its still not as loud as some rice can that is louder than a straight pipe diesel at idle. ;)
    Thanks a ton man, i think im going to do this next week, and fox i think its a good idea to keep the stock muffler just in case i need to throw it back on there as for MOD im going to request it off work and see if i can get down there, sounds like some fun.

now the only question left is what kind of exhaust tip to put on...

I think you will be very happy with a setup like polishmafia. It has such a clean tone to it. As for the tip, I would suggest something appropriately sized. For example, a tip similar to that of a stock 3G Eclipse GT would look nice.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

The OP asked about cutting off the muffler and putting a straight pipe in its place. You took out your entire exhaust and stuck on some aftermarket muffler. No wonder you didn't like it.

What you did and what he is asking about are two different things.
    well what i did was install a full exhaust including headers it wasent just some ramdom muffler there buddy!.and yes i might of went of topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast