The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gutless Galant..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Gutless Galant..

I've not long had it (about 2 weeks) and allready dissapointed in it, it's good to drive, dont get me wrong, very comfy, nice gearchanges ect but bloody gutless for a 2ltr!. I must be to used to turbos ie T5, Aero, Impreza, and my last being a turbo diesel also a 2ltr. This Galant is the slowest i've had in years.

I'm in a quandry as to what to with it, dont get me wrong, i'm not that fast a driver but i like and used to having grunt when i want it, but it's just not there with this!

Not bad for a first post eh...

u should have got a v6!

cant expect much power from a 4 banger...

What do you mean dont expect much from a 4cyl.....all i mentioned are 4's apart from the T5, just that they have turbos......somthing imo this bloody thing should have so it wouldnt be so gutless.

Not any point in having a "sport" badge when it simply doesnt have the power to match!!

Mitsi def fkd up when deciding what model to call it....."sport" my arse!!

put a turbo in it then :D

It's cheaper to sell it and start again, than doing a rebuild

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    If all those 4 cyc. you mentioned have turbos, by all means, go buy one.

^x2

It wasn't designed as a performance car. But if you are in Scotland, you should be able to source a VR4. That will give you all the power you want!

The term "gutless" isn't appropriate either, both my G's have guts, Plenty of guts. More than can be said for the above mentioned cars. One is at 165k miles and the other is at 207k. That's A'Lotta kilometers buddy. Stock engines and trannys too.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    If all those 4 cyc. you mentioned have turbos, by all means, go buy one.
    I might again

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    It wasn't designed as a performance car. But if you are in Scotland, you should be able to source a VR4. That will give you all the power you want!
    Maybe not, the only thing "sport" about it imo is the Momo s/wheel and 17" alloys,,

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    The term "gutless" isn't appropriate either, both my G's have guts, Plenty of guts. More than can be said for the above mentioned cars. One is at 165k miles and the other is at 207k. That's A'Lotta kilometers buddy. Stock engines and trannys too.
    The cars about are between 225-250hp stock, so dont know how you can say yours have more but less power (unless youve tweaked them)

I can get an Impreza, T5 ect, the same year ie late 90s for half the cash of a V4 tt.....so unless it's a "cut above"....are they worth the price....just wondered

As said allready....I do like it but imo it's not got grunt....oh well such is bloody life....

Quote Originally Posted by Stu63 View Post

The cars about are between 225-250hp stock, so dont know how you can say yours have more but less power (unless youve tweaked them)

I can get an Impreza, T5 ect, the same year ie late 90s for half the cash of a V4 tt.....so unless it's a "cut above"....are they worth the price....just wondered

As said allready....I do like it but imo it's not got grunt....oh well such is bloody life....

Newb somehow missed the point of my post.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 09-10-2011 at 02:36 PM

Go for your Imprezas etc then. The VR4 is a real car... Which is half the price than the Impreza, at least here.

I prefer comfort and reliability as well as power personally.

I don't know how you can compare turbos to a non turbo car...I mean really? Try comparing to their own! Of course a turbo's going to be quicker than a non turbo!

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Newb somehow missed the point of my post.

Say more clearer what you mean then ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Go for your Imprezas etc then. The VR4 is a real car... Which is half the price than the Impreza, at least here.

I prefer comfort and reliability as well as power personally.

I don't know how you can compare turbos to a non turbo car...I mean really? Try comparing to their own! Of course a turbo's going to be quicker than a non turbo!

I might

Me too

If you read my bloody post right you wouldnt have said that, honest to god!!!....READ BEFORE YOU OPEN YER MOUTH!

I dont mean to compare, I said I'm used to and miss the power of them, but thought it (Galant) should have a bit more than it's got
    Last edited by Stu63; 09-11-2011 at 04:30 AM

I dont mean to compare, I said I'm used to and miss the power of them, but thought it (Galant) should have a bit more than it's got
    They should have more power in all trim, and in all markets. LOL.

I'm glad you enjoy the car other than its power :)

Thanks RG , someone that finally aggrees, like I said a few times, it's a good car and didnt say it wasnt, i like it, it just lacks grunt for its size

Thanks RG , someone that finally aggrees, like I said a few times, it's a good car and didnt say it wasnt, i like it, it just lacks grunt for its size
    Indeed, I love my 6G72 (3.0L V6), but would be nice to have more power on tap, or at least have had a manual option available (besides aftermarket upgrades). That said, the VR4 pushing out 320bhp is a great vehicle, pushing high 13s stock, great car, very advanced compared to other cars in similar years. It has Active Yaw Control (before the Evo's did), Active Center Differential, Twin Turbo's, 4WD, 4WS, Automatic Climate Control, leather, heated seats, it was truly loaded for its time, as equipped as comparable $50,000 BMW or Mercedes.

The VR4 sounds good, i looked one up yesterday here (Scotland.....there isnt alot for sale in the UK in general) and are between £3-4000 for a late 90s (about $5000 +/~ that's alot for a car of that year, but i guess it must be worth it. My Impreza and T5 (manual and auto) were pushing nearly 320, the Aero was about 300 and the MR2 turbo about the same hence being used to some power.

I either just try enjoy this car for what it it or change it or do some upgrades, but i cant see it being in the same hp league as the above unless some really serious tuning's done.

What i forgot to say....the VR4 only seems to come in a saloon (or sedan as you call them there) i need an est (wagon)....bummer..
    Last edited by Stu63; 09-11-2011 at 03:43 AM

What i forgot to say....the VR4 only seems to come in a saloon (or sedan as you call them there) i need an est (wagon)....bummer..
    Google search: Legnum

Last edited by oakrdrs187; 09-11-2011 at 04:23 AM

Thanks...found a couple here, they seem to hold their price..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=966

They are rare and VERY desirable cars.

WOW.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1766689.htm

Only 49k miles! What an amazing example of a Legnum VR4!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast