The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intake/Engine Vibration at WOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36
    You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar

Intake/Engine Vibration at WOT

Ok I tried searching this and came up with nothing.
    Whenever Im at WOT=Wide Open Throttle (like when Im trying to pickup speed to get on the freeway) I get a loud vibration sound from my intake and or engine. It has been doing this since before I swapped out for the Outlander IM. I thought that it was the Galant IM making the noise once l figured out it was cracked. But the sound is still there. I tried cleaning my Cone Air Filter, no difference. All clamps are tight, and everything is in place. I have an L bracket holding the MAF in place to the frame, so its not the pipe moving around either. Only thing that is time for replacement on the car are the spark plug wires.
    Any input???
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

bad motor mount maybe??

Naw changed all of them in 07/08 with OEM Mitsu parts...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

So it sounds like something is loose and vibrating?Trying to understand what sound it is making.Can you recreate the sound while the car is parked or is just under load?From what I've seen/heard,the oem mounts can go bad in a couple of years,so don't rule that out till you check them.

Need more info bro. With my new outlander mani and diamante tb the engine is sucking more air in making the CAI more loud. I have headers and magnaflow cat and OMG is deep and sporty. I can't wait for my 5 speed swap. "collecting parts" LOL

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by jermyjerm View Post
    So it sounds like something is loose and vibrating?Trying to understand what sound it is making.Can you recreate the sound while the car is parked or is just under load?From what I've seen/heard,the oem mounts can go bad in a couple of years,so don't rule that out till you check them.
    It doesnt make the sound in park, only when the car is in drive or under load. Ok I will check the motor mounts again, that sucks I thought it would take longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Need more info bro. With my new outlander mani and diamante tb the engine is sucking more air in making the CAI more loud. I have headers and magnaflow cat and OMG is deep and sporty. I can't wait for my 5 speed swap. "collecting parts" LOL
    Yeah intake is louder in a good way til its gets to the bad noisy vibrating part.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

im having the same problem with my car =( its just so loud but it could be sitting still idle and i will hear the noise ur talkin about

Inspect all of your motor mounts, for some reason mine kept going bad rather quick. I had to replace them 3 times, in a one year period.
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 11-23-2010 at 01:39 PM

Also check your exhaust system + precat. Make sure the flex pipe is in good condition. If it has a leak it could cause vibration and it could be loud.

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Also check your exhaust system + precat. Make sure the flex pipe is in good condition. If it has a leak it could cause vibration and it could be loud.
    +1.Also,is there a particular rpm range in which the noise is present,or is it just dependent on the throttle being wide open?

The sound seems to be centered in the area by the intake & TB. I can feel the vibration on my gas pedal, and as far RPM's, it only does it between 5-6,000 RPM's...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

This is a tough one!I'm doing my best to imagine the scenario.Have you checked the oil recently?My gf's G gets a lil loud in the upper rpm range when the oil is 1/2qt low.

Get your tires freshly balanced and rotated, that could be a possible cause of the problem. Alignment too?

Maybe its your drivetrain? Check your tranny fluid level.

Possible cause could also be a dirty/clogged fuel filter check that out

You definitely need to get your spark plugs/wires replaced if they are bad, that could also be the problem
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 11-24-2010 at 08:23 AM

whats it sound like at 5k-6k rpms in neutral? Might be able to eliminate the motor mounts being the problem if the noise is still there.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I Gave up on this long ago, so far "IT" (the vibrations) has broken 2 4g64 IM's. Let me tell you a bit about my situation see what input I can get.

Jan 2010-Had timing done, I watched the guy do it. Mechanic with tons of experience. Took the cover off and the balance belt was torn, timing intact. Ive drove the G since 2006 with 87k, timing was done with about 130k on Jan 2010. Never had vibration issue until the balance belt was put on. who knows how long that belt had been torn, because I never noticed any change in performance during those 4 years to determine if it tore on me.

June 2010-what I think is the stock IM cracked, replaced and thats it.

Late AUG 2010-IM cracks again. WTF!! so I changed it again, this time did all the Mounts+Tranny and Tune-UP (Spark Plugs/Wires/OIL/Seafoam/Air Filter/Drive Belts/Idler Pulley) Still Have Vibrations, they haven't decreased So I know that IM wont last, Bought the Outlander from member "deeznutz" (shoutout goes to him). Will install This holiday weekend. And just ignore the vibrations since the Mani can handle it.... I hope. They say 99% will hold up, trust me I can be that 1%.

If youre still with me.....

My vibrations start at 3k and kill your foot to the point of taking it off the pedal at Redline 6200. So freeway at 75mph is nothing but bbzzzzzzzzzzz!
    Never had an issue with such harsh vibrations until that balance belt was installed after who knows how long, sometimes i want to cut it. my tires have been rotated, balanced and car has been aligned, CV's replaced as well this year. My tires, proud to say are top of the line Michelin Primacy in 215/50/17.... very soft. But I still get the Gas Pedal Vibrations, someone told me is could be slightly bent valves or an off balance crank.
    What do you think??
    Car sits at 150k with everything working just fine, no tranny slip or clunk, no pings or click clacks.

Eternally Grateful to anyone who can come up with a godd solution to this problem

maybe when he did you balance shaft belt, the didnt reset the balance timing to where it was at the bottom, i would bet thats your problem oak.

so would it help to have it redone?

I could say anyone that had lower their car, and put mods such as, CAI, headers, and exhaust system "CATBACK" U will always get some type of noise causing some type of vibration. Like i said before everyone should check their pre-cat and flex pipe for any ware or leak. This damage causes loud noise causing vibration.

SOHC Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jermyjerm View Post
    This is a tough one!I'm doing my best to imagine the scenario.Have you checked the oil recently?My gf's G gets a lil loud in the upper rpm range when the oil is 1/2qt low.
    Oil is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    Get your tires freshly balanced and rotated, that could be a possible cause of the problem. Alignment too?

Maybe its your drivetrain? Check your tranny fluid level.

Possible cause could also be a dirty/clogged fuel filter check that out

You definitely need to get your spark plugs/wires replaced if they are bad, that could also be the problem
    Just bought a new set of wheels and tires and problem was around since before then.
    Tranny fluid is due for a change now too. Fuel filter is jntegrated into the fuel tank/fuel pump. Thats not scheduled until the fuel pump goes out IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    whats it sound like at 5k-6k rpms in neutral? Might be able to eliminate the motor mounts being the problem if the noise is still there.
    It doesnt do it in neutral or park, I'll check again but Im pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I Gave up on this long ago, so far "IT" (the vibrations) has broken 2 4g64 IM's. Let me tell you a bit about my situation see what input I can get.

Jan 2010-Had timing done, I watched the guy do it. Mechanic with tons of experience. Took the cover off and the balance belt was torn, timing intact. Ive drove the G since 2006 with 87k, timing was done with about 130k on Jan 2010. Never had vibration issue until the balance belt was put on. who knows how long that belt had been torn, because I never noticed any change in performance during those 4 years to determine if it tore on me.

June 2010-what I think is the stock IM cracked, replaced and thats it.

Late AUG 2010-IM cracks again. WTF!! so I changed it again, this time did all the Mounts+Tranny and Tune-UP (Spark Plugs/Wires/OIL/Seafoam/Air Filter/Drive Belts/Idler Pulley) Still Have Vibrations, they haven't decreased So I know that IM wont last, Bought the Outlander from member "deeznutz" (shoutout goes to him). Will install This holiday weekend. And just ignore the vibrations since the Mani can handle it.... I hope. They say 99% will hold up, trust me I can be that 1%.

If youre still with me.....

My vibrations start at 3k and kill your foot to the point of taking it off the pedal at Redline 6200. So freeway at 75mph is nothing but bbzzzzzzzzzzz!
    Never had an issue with such harsh vibrations until that balance belt was installed after who knows how long, sometimes i want to cut it. my tires have been rotated, balanced and car has been aligned, CV's replaced as well this year. My tires, proud to say are top of the line Michelin Primacy in 215/50/17.... very soft. But I still get the Gas Pedal Vibrations, someone told me is could be slightly bent valves or an off balance crank.
    What do you think??
    Car sits at 150k with everything working just fine, no tranny slip or clunk, no pings or click clacks.

Eternally Grateful to anyone who can come up with a godd solution to this problem
    This^^ I suspected this might be the issue. I had my timing belt and accessory belts changed on schedule in June 2010. Then started noticing this vibration at high rpm's. Then my IM cracked in Sept. SMH
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Does it in every selection except, reverse. i don't plan any redlining reverse or even hitting 3k. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast