The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dutch newbie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

Dutch newbie

Greetings from Holland.

I've been looking at pictures from your US Galants and decided to register at The Galant Center. Awesome site you have here.

My name is Cees (pronounce "Case") and I live in The Netherlands near the German border.

After driving a 6G Galant for 14 years I bought a '00 8g Galant last year. The main reason for this was my caravan which I have to tow during the holiday’s. An 8G is very capable of doing this job. The 6G wasn't allowed to tow the desired weight.

The 6G of ’91.

Both G’s together:

Ok. The 6G is sold, the 8g is my love.

Spec’s:
    - Galant 8G build 2000
    - 2.5 V6-24 engine (6A13) 163 bhp
    - Automatic transmission (A/T)
    - Mileage: 318.000 km / 200.000 miles

Modifications:
    - lowered on springs 2- 2,5 inches
    - VR4 strut bar (front)
    - JDM Grill
    - High Contrast Dash
    - OZ superturismo GT – 7”x17” – ET43 – 215/45-17 wheels
    - LPG installation (Liquid Propane Gas)
    - Wooden dashboard panels replaced with black panels
    - Replaced orange flashers with white flashers.

Because Car Detailing is my hobby, I detailed the car from top to bottom, inside and outside. My purpose was to restore the 8G to “a state of new”.

Some more pictures of interior and the engine:

Because my 8G is mainly a family car, modifications will only be minor. Maybe I’ll paint the (stock black) skirts grey also. For now I’m very happy with my 8G and try to maintain him as good as possible.

Ok, this is it for now. Let me know what you think or want to know. I’ve got dozens of pictures from the detailing process and even of the wetsanding job I performed last week (rear fender).

Enjoy!

Welcome to TGC!

TURBO= in the making.......

Welcome to TGC!

I wish the Galants in the US came this nice off the showroom floor. If you're going to keep the mods light, intake and exhaust are VERY rewarding mods, the intake will free up a lot of space under the hood, too.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Welcome to TGC, that is a lovely car, very clean!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Welcome to TGC! Skyforger is on to something, those mods are rewarding for sure.
    Very nice pickup though, looks like a solid car and I'm jealous of that oem hood.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Welcome to TGC! Nice 6th Gen you got there..very well kept i see.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Welcome 2 TGC!! Nice 8G
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Welcome!! Sweet ride.

Thanks for the reply’s so far.

An open air filter and exhaust are possible. Could do that. I don’t need them directly to gain extra power. The average Dutch car is a 1.8 ltr 4 cylinder with 110 horses under the hood. Compared to that average numbers I’ve already got a very strong and fast car with a beautiful exhaust sound.

@Keith6110: The oem hood is standard on the Dutch facelift models of the 8G. Installed on the models from ’00 till ’03. Technically the car is almost perfect. We’ve visited several European countries with it like Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and – last summer - Austria. In most cases with 1400 kg of caravan on the tow bar.

@Kingjel12: The 6G was very well kept indeed. Almost like new, low mileage (75000 after 20 years) and completely original. Had to sell it. Driving and maintaining 2 cars is too costly.

Welcome to TGC!!!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.126207,-115.142838
    KAZIKAI
    Sent from my 3G iPad 64GB using Tapatalk

welcome!

one of these days, I'm going to have to figure out where to get an LPG kit from, your the second person I know of that has one on a Galant

Hello and welcome. Those are some nice machines you have.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    welcome!

one of these days, I'm going to have to figure out where to get an LPG kit from, your the second person I know of that has one on a Galant
    Well, I can give you some general information on LPG in Europe. Might come handy.

There are a few brands for LPG installations like AG, Vialle and Landi. My 8G has a Landi installation.
    Installation means an LPG tank in the trunk (spare weel is removed, the tanks is installed in that space). The 6A13 engine doesn’t need to be modified. Some car brands need different valves for example. An LPG computer and injectors are installed under the hood. Inside the car you get a small panel that tells you how much LPG is in the tank and there’s a button on it to switch from LPG to petrol of petrol to LPG by hand. Installation of the LPG system at a dealer takes a few hours.
    When I start the car it always runs on petrol. After driving a short while the engine reaches a designated temperature at which moment the injection system automatically switches from petrol to LPG. That’s it.

An LPG installation is costly, about $ 3.500 including installation. In Holland however you can calculate your return on investment (ROI). Petrol is expensive, a gallon costs $ 8,86. LPG is much cheaper, a gallon of gas costs $ 3,55. I have to pay some extra roadtax for running on LPG.
    I bought my 8G with the LPG installation already installed. So, no extra installation costs for me.

Driving more than 4000 km’s / 3000 miles per year, in my case, means that the extra costs of LPG maintenance and taxes have been neutralized by the lower price per gallon. Every extra mile means that I save money.

Welcome to TGC, nice cars
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

wat the..... 318 000 kms on your odo? And the car is still running sweet? My god. thats crazy mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by zyro View Post
    wat the..... 318 000 kms on your odo? And the car is still running sweet? My god. thats crazy mileage.
    And that's not all. Almost every holiday my 8G tows my caravan.
    Weight (fully loaded): 1400 kg / 3100 lbs
    Length: 7.5 mtr / 24.6 feet

This Picture is taken in the Swiss Alps after passing the Gotthard Road Tunnel.

Towing is no problem for the (European) A/T transmission. In some cases you need to install an extra (oil) cooler for the transmission fluid. Best is to Try to keep tte torque converter "locked" and switch to manual shifting on steep slopes.
    This 8G is still going strong.

Love that pic! Good idea for the transmission cooler.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

wad do u mean by locking the torque converter, do you mean going above the "4th" gear into the hidden 5th? is that the lock u are talking about?

maybe the LPG is helping your engine's longevity. LPG is clean running right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast