The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dutch newbie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 42
    This is what Wikipedia tell's about the Torque converter:

In modern usage, a torque converter is generally a type of hydrodynamic fluid coupling that is used to transfer rotating power from a prime mover, such as an internal combustion engine or electric motor, to a rotating driven load. The torque converter normally takes the place of a mechanical clutch in a vehicle with an automatic transmission, allowing the load to be separated from the power source. It is usually located between the engine's flywheel and the transmission.

The key characteristic of a torque converter is its ability to multiply torque when there is a substantial difference between input and output rotational speed, thus providing the equivalent of a reduction gear. Some of these devices are also equipped with a temporary locking mechanism which rigidly binds the engine to the transmission when their speeds are nearly equal, to avoid slippage and a resulting loss of efficiency.

Every gear in the A/T gearbox has a locking moment. Transmission and engine are rigidly binded at that moment. When towing that's what you want. Maximum power available at the wheels and no gearbox "slip" (Too much slip causes overheating of the gearbox/transmission oil).

When I switch to manual shifting (tiptronic mode), the gearbox gets rigidly binded to the engine. Only when you stop, leave of shift gear, the torque converter is very shortly used (like a normal clutch)

More information on how torque convertors work can be found Here

And you're right, LPG is clean running.
    Last edited by CvWNL; 09-29-2011 at 03:27 AM

Incorrect link. Sorry.

Information can be found on these links:
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...-converter.htm
    http://www.a-tconsulting.co.uk/carav.../auto_tow.html
    Check "Conventional Automatic Transmission"

Wow, I would hate to put my G through that. That's what American Trucks/Suv's are good for over here. Actually that's about the only thing they are good for. Lol.

Well, if my G want's to enjoy these kind of roads (and believe me, she does ), she first has to tow the caravan. Grossglockner Austria:

Truck's and SUV's are (almost) to expensive to drive in The Netherlands. Since yesterday the Lancer Evo can't be bought anymore in Holland. Because of environmental taxes prices have becom to high to keep selling the car.

Wow that's beautiful, looks like something out of a video game or movie. That sucks about the Evo.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Looks like a track in GT5

beautiful. Would love to ride my bike on those mountain roads.

sigh... looking at your engine bay pics. kinda miss my jdm mivec V6 galant.

Long time no see! The Galant is still going strong.

Had her technically inspected last month. Only minor issues where found and she should be good for another 150.000-200.000 km's. These results are published in a Dutch weekly magazine called "Autoweek". They made some perfect pictures I'd like to share.

Check the ODO. Those are km's!

During the inspection

On the road.

Issues found:
    - Brake fluid contained to much water (2%) - Solved already. I replaced the fluid
    - Stabilizer Rod parts worn - Have been replaced already.
    - Wheel bearing worn - A new bearing is waiting to be installed. I just have to wait for the snow to melt.

^^^ That last picture is very nice if I do say so myself!!!
    Nice ride!

After our 2014 summer holiday in Italy we sold the Galant in november with 365K on the ODO. The Galant has returned to his previous owner.

New Galant's are not available and second hand, well maintained, Galant's are hard to find in The Netherlands. So you might say we had a bit of a problem. Anyway..........

We're still driving Mitsubishi though a different model; a 2007 Outlander (4G63).

Last edited by CvWNL; 04-29-2015 at 07:31 AM

If you don't mind me asking, were in Italy did you go? I ask because I used to live in Turin and have been just about everywhere in Europe, I miss it. I've only heard good things about the Outlander, how do you like it?
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 04-29-2015 at 09:12 AM
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

We stayed at http://www.pianidiclodia.it/en in Lazise. It's situated at Garda Lake. If you lived in Turin you must know that region.

So far we don't regret buying the Outlander. Very comfortable combined with good road holding even at higher speeds on the German Highways (180 km/h +). Like the Galant, the Outlander is running on LPG. Well, LPI it is to be specific. It's a Vaille installation and the gas is injected as a liquid.
    This summer he'll have to tow the caravan. We'll see, it shouldn't be a problem. I love the Outlander but miss the Galant V6 sound.
    Last edited by CvWNL; 04-20-2016 at 07:07 AM

Oh yes! Beautiful area, although I was very young when we went, I wish I remembered more of it. I bet the V6 G was fun on the Autobahn. My dad opened up our Renault Espace once, it was a fun time haha

(Not the exact car, ours was blue)

Yeah, the V6 is fun on the Autobahn. Only disadvantage is fuel consumption at speeds around 200 km/h reaching up to 1 liter every 3 to 4 km.
    Wow, a French car in Italy. Your parents are dare devils! The Espace needs a lot of maintenance when getting older and Italy isn't the best place to be when a French car needs repair(s).

I hope you'll get a chance to refresh your Italian memory's. You might want to visit Rome..........

and drive the Stelvio Pass in the north of Italy (haven't done that myself, yet)

Last edited by CvWNL; 04-20-2016 at 07:09 AM

Funny story about the maintenence haha right after we sold it and moved to the states the engine blew up. My dad got a call and the guy asked him to buy it back but it wasn't our fault so he didn't. I do remember Rome, we visited there multiple times. It was cool but my favorite was Venice, I love the Venetian glass. I would have loved to drive Stelvio Pass... My dad always talked about it but his Miata was still in the states and he didn't want to take the Espace or the Alfa considering both weren't especially sporty cars. I am deffinitly going back when I am older and done with college though!

I've been to Venice in 2010. Lovely, indeed. Project MOSE is currently installing mobile gates at the inlets of the Venetian lagoon to protect the city from flooding during high tides (sometimes a quarter of the city is under water).

Hmmm, someone wasn't happy with his Espace. I'm not afraid of buying a Mitsubishi with a 4G63 enige and 186k km's on the ODO. Been there, done that. An Espace with these numbers on the ODO is definitely a No Go if it's up to me.

Success with College.
    Last edited by CvWNL; 06-08-2015 at 08:03 AM

We had the Espace close to 200K miles, it was my dads daily and our travel machine. We had gone from the northern part of the Isle of Skye to Lecce, the entire Continent is gorgeous!

Hmm, you've seen some beautiful countries. Scotland, UK , Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and/or Austria and Italy of course. I love Scotland and the Alpes in Switzerland and Austria. Special places and scenic roads. Funny, you like the European continent while I still cherish my memories of a holiday in the US and Canada. We travelled from SF to Salt Lake City, Banff, Jasper, Vancouver and back to SF in an RV. National Parks in the US and Canada are awesome. The size of the parks is immense if you're used to European dimensions. Yellowstone for instance is a quarter of the size of Holland.

It's good to cherish our dreams. Maybe that's the reason why I've got 3000GT rims mounted on the Outlander.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast