The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: L.E.D. strips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

L.E.D. strips

Ok, so I bought these l.e.d. strips and i have them mounted under the headlight lenses inside the bumper (facing outwards). Now, what I would like to do is wire them so they turn on when the car is on with ignition or whatnot. And then off when the car is off. Could you guys possibly help me by telling me where or what I could wire these to? Thanks tons, I want to get these things going!

Wire them to your parking light harness. It's easier that way. I had them awhile ago.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome...
    -Andrew

Not to sound dumb, but where is that harness exactly? and that wont blow fuses or anything will it?

the wires that go to ur parking light bulb

Quote Originally Posted by shartOFwar View Post
    Not to sound dumb, but where is that harness exactly? and that wont blow fuses or anything will it?
    Harness is found plugged in to the orange turn signal bulb, and no you won't blow fuses, LED's hardly draw current, you would have to run a ridiculous amount LED strips to blow your park light fuse.

TGC Regular
    ^^^ Thats true but just remember to take off the battery neg plug while you do this. And ground the LED (black) wire to the chassis intead of the harness.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

^why not go to harness for ground? Just curious.

TGC Regular
    Some of the wires in our car if anyone has notice goes crappy over time so a more direct grounding to the chassis for fail safe. He could use the harness ground but that would take more work depending on how he does it (Im hoping hes gonna splice/tap it) versus self tapping screw to the chassis.

Note: OP, If your gonna self tap. make sure the thread are not painted over or it wont be grounded.

wire them to the parking lights that work best on my galant

Ground to the chassis power through the same switched. 12v that turns on your audio
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    Ground to the chassis power through the same switched. 12v that turns on your audio
    whats the point of that?

Whenever his car is turned on the lights will come on and go off when the car does
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    Some of the wires in our car if anyone has notice goes crappy over time so a more direct grounding to the chassis for fail safe. He could use the harness ground but that would take more work depending on how he does it (Im hoping hes gonna splice/tap it) versus self tapping screw to the chassis.

Note: OP, If your gonna self tap. make sure the thread are not painted over or it wont be grounded.
    It will fray overtime if an accessory with a higher current draw than what it was designed for is used, but LED's hardly draw juice.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It will fray overtime if an accessory with a higher current draw than what it was designed for is used, but LED's hardly draw juice.
    LED’s are essentially DC devices that need from 1.2to 4V to power. How many LEDs and how many he may attach? and are they all going to be LEDs? It's just a fail safe way to work for a more dedicated current to ground to.

I believe he is using 12v LED strips. Chassis ground is best with high current lighting such as HID, but have you ever seen how thin the wires are on those LED strips? Just crimping a ring terminal to it cuts it, which is why I would just solder it to the factory ground wire. Either works fine though.

Alright so I finally got around to wiring them up and what I did was, grounded them to the chassis and then ran the power to the harness that plugs into the upper parking lamps. So they turn on when the parking lamps are on. They look pretty good Imo and they light up the whole inside of the headlight lens.

Quote Originally Posted by shartOFwar View Post
    Alright so I finally got around to wiring them up and what I did was, grounded them to the chassis and then ran the power to the harness that plugs into the upper parking lamps. So they turn on when the parking lamps are on. They look pretty good Imo and they light up the whole inside of the headlight lens.
    Can you upload some pics?

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Can you upload some pics?
    +1

Man seriously where's da pics??? Show n tell :)

Sorry guys. i'll hopefully have pics up soon. Some jackass backed into my parked car at the local mall and effed up my front bumper and driver's side fender. Should only be a few days and then will be good as new. then to the pictures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast