The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help removing caliper braket

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Help removing caliper braket

I am trying to do this on '06. I have tried to hummer a ratchet on the 2 nuts that seem to be holding the braket. Also tried using penetrating oil and letting sit for a while but it didn't work. Could someone help me?
    Last edited by leonue; 09-17-2011 at 07:38 PM

are you talking about the two nuts holding the caliper? if so, try extending the the ratchet handel with a pipe. make sure you got the right sze socket so you wont strip the nut.

No. I am talking about the bracket that stays on the rotor after you remove the caliper.

theres nothing holding onto the rotor. the caliper bracket is bolted to the knuckle.

Take your half inch ratchet with a 17mm socket IIRC. Find a long pipe, something like the handle on a hydraulic jack, put your purse down and it will break loose. hopefully you havent stripped the nut yet.

Also, if you have a good impact gun, it will come off like butter.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are right the bracket is not attached to the rotor. And I have tried with ratchet that has a very long handle (20" aprox). There is no clearance for more. And the nuts aren't stripped yet. Any other ideas. Maybe I'm trying to take out the wrong nuts.

get a 17mm box wrench and a hammer. that will solve your problem.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2799274

A filipino's number one dream is to own a car before anything else. In the philippines, most private car owners consider their vehicles as an extension of their home but with one differrence: a home is where his wife cooks while a car is where his girlfriend builds a fire. Hmmm...

Leverage is your greatest ally.

Six point box wrench, and a looooooong pipe that fits over the wrench, then crank lose. =]

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Leverage is your greatest ally.

Six point box wrench, and a looooooong pipe that fits over the wrench, then crank lose. =]
    This all day, turn the wheel so that you get as much space as possible, and crank that joint!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I dunno how many people I've seen fuck up bolt heads with 12 point wrenches and sockets. lol

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

i once bent my caliper pulling so hard on it, u live u learn!