The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intake Question.

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Intake Question.

Whats the difference if i just put a funnel on the end of the stock piping than putting it on the piping it comes with?

it does the job, and saves money. some members have done that here, can't remember off the top of my head who though

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

So your saying that there is not really a difference?

a difference between the two? yes there might be between the two, I went from stock intake to a AEM cai. I noticed that anafter market one it louder at WOT and has a deeper exhaust tone. But if you just want to keep the stock upper black peice, and put a filter on it, there are adapters that attach to the maf sensor. It will make a differance compared to all the extra water crap and ram air peice.

What would be better for the car tho?

either or really, it all comes down to how much your willing to spend, but if I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would just get an adapter plate and filter, and use the stock upper pipe that attaches to the throttle body.

The stock upper pipe works fine, done it for 2 years that way., however it has the ribbed flex part in the middle and the filter would rattle against the bay and I could hear it when stopped, I just stuck some foam to the body and it silenced the rattling.

got a good deal on a used injen intake (using as a short ram, havent tried the cai pipe) and I like it better cuz its a bit louder and mounts against the block so it doesnt rattle, plus its a sparkly blue.
    Last edited by Armageddon Sunset; 09-19-2011 at 06:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerDill View Post
    Whats the difference if i just put a funnel on the end of the stock piping than putting it on the piping it comes with?
    a funnel?

well a gas funnel, that would let through more air than an oil funnel....better yet a flour sieve would let the most air through while stopping most debris from entering the TB

You're going to get better flow through a smooth aftermarket intake pipe rather than the stock plastic piping since it's corrugated/ribbed and the air can't slip by as easily.

since this thread was made can someone tell me the size of the vacuum tube on a after market intake

^ Any decent aftermarket air intake should be the same size as stock.