The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Toyota 2JZ-GTE Engine on 8G Galant

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 273
    You are here entirely tooo much!!
    way to think out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

holy crap!!!

i hav thought about this for a long time! i'd love to do this to my vr4 one day!

i know this is kinda a low budget conversion, but you could move the engine/gearbox back a fair bit with the right budget/tools/time

if all goes well this will be a badass galant!

Will the rear end take all the power it will see?

I know for the 90-99 AWD Eclipse etc. sold in the US the rear end can't handle a lot of power on its own. I don't recall any numbers though just that they break. How will yours hold up?
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Dope man. Stick with it and keep updating us. I would imagine your gonna wanna get some type of Ford IRS 8.8 rear or something close to that in terms of power handling. There is no way a stock diff, even a built up EVO diff isnt gonna take that abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

DUDEEEEEE!!!! this is fu#¿@ng awesomeee dammmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Dope man. Stick with it and keep updating us. I would imagine your gonna wanna get some type of Ford IRS 8.8 rear or something close to that in terms of power handling. There is no way a stock diff, even a built up EVO diff isnt gonna take that abuse.
    Feh.

Ford 9 inch rear.

/discussion

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    X2 on Stewi comment, and holy shit man this is awesome. Bravo to you man to take on such a big project but so far so good. It looks like you have it under control...please keep us updates.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

WHy not just use a Supra diff.....
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Thanks for your encouragement guys. I know that the rear diff will break but I am more concerned about getting the car running for the time being. when the diff breaks I may install supra's rear diff or supra's whole rear setup.
    I

amazing!
    6G74+5SPD = FUN

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Feh.

Ford 9 inch rear.

/discussion
    The 9 would work but the 8.8s are less expensive, very durable and easier to retrofit into a vehicle with IRS. You could be adapters to fit a 9" into an IRS but it can get a little pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    WHy not just use a Supra diff.....
    Because if your custom designing a rear subframe or custom adapting a rear subframe, you should adapt it to part that is superior in quality and durability. Supra guys retrofit their cars with ford rear ends, the idea is, if your going to spend the time and money to re-engineer something, during the process you should weed out any weak points.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

True, but if Supra guys are doing Ford 9 inch swaps, I'd say it's worth the extra time and money to have a good bulletproof rear for such a capable motor.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

I'm glad to see this being built but it will be some time be for this thing is functional... All that speed means you're gonna need a lot of brake power.... This will def be a force and please take all precautions cause this is one of those ideas where I'll say... "With great power, comes great responsibility" You need to be on your P's And Q's with this one...

"Triangle Circle Triangle Square"

amazing, i have to follow this

nice work mate,um as for diff if you get stuck i think youll be better off with a plate diff tho,they hendle a fair bit but in saying that Scott Kreil (team revolutionz) mate of mine runs over 700hp in Evo 8 and he smashed his brand new plate diff lol
    www.qcustoms.co.nz

Just saw Fast and the Furious, "2JZ engine, no shit!"

Today the car entered the garage and engine was taken out in order to install engine/gearbox mounts. Work is resumed :)

Evo IX Koyo Radiator

A/C removed / Main Crank Pulley was replaced with OBX Lightweight Pulley

Rear Differential

Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Mishimoto Racing Thermostat 61C

Megan Racing Coilovers

To be continued ...

Thats a nice build, but that rear sway bar isnt installed correctly. Its worsening the handling in turns when its installed like this. The end links and sway bar need to go above the lower control arms like this

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

looks like this going to be sweet build. Wish i had the balls to something this big or a wife that would let me spend that kinda cash lol

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast