The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Toyota 2JZ-GTE Engine on 8G Galant

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 273
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Yikes. That driveshaft looks small. What material is it made from? Plain steel? Chromoly? Do you know the wall thickness? Judging by the floor tiles which are commonly 12"x12" that shaft is about 5 feet long. I am using 3.5" diameter aluminum on a shaft thats about 8" shorter and only delivering half the engines power to the rear. I would be very very cautious using that shaft you have there. Make sure you run a safety loop.
    it is 135 cm. It is thick from the iside. It is galvanized steel. It could be replaced easily if it fails. Im trying to get the car running at the first place. Thanks a lot everyone. Wish me best luck

LOL, we're not trying to be haters, it is a great build. We just want you to be safe. When a drive shaft goes out it can be very dangerous. I was lucky mine didn't hit the gas tank or get under a tire to spin or flip my car. Mine bounced and lodged between the car body and the exhaust. It beat the hell out of the unibody in the process, leaving a big dent in the passenger front floor pan. It struck right at the corner where the steel was strongest too so there was a lot of force behind that hit.

Wall thickness is much less important than drive shaft diameter vs. length. A quick Google search for driveshaft calculator pulled up this one:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.htm

With a 53 inch shaft at 2.5 inch diameter you'll handle plenty of torque. The problem is the critical speed. I don't have the calculations lying around for what our drive shafts spin at but I know that it was up around 5-6K rpms at 65-70 mph. If you drive at or above the critical speed of a driveshaft for long harmonics can cause it to start wiggling and tear it apart. They have some pretty good explanations on the site. To calculate your drive shaft speed you need your tire diameter and rear gear ratio. I'm sure you can get that stuff off the web quickly too.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 10-13-2011 at 07:49 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    LOL, we're not trying to be haters, it is a great build. We just want you to be safe. When a drive shaft goes out it can be very dangerous. I was lucky mine didn't hit the gas tank or get under a tire to spin or flip my car. Mine bounced and lodged between the car body and the exhaust. It beat the hell out of the unibody in the process, leaving a big dent in the passenger front floor pan. It struck right at the corner where the steel was strongest too so there was a lot of force behind that hit.

Wall thickness is much less important than drive shaft diameter vs. length. A quick Google search for driveshaft calculator pulled up this one:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.htm

With a 53 inch shaft at 2.5 inch diameter you'll handle plenty of torque. The problem is the critical speed. I don't have the calculations lying around for what our drive shafts spin at but I know that it was up around 5-6K rpms at 65-70 mph. If you drive at or above the critical speed of a driveshaft for long harmonics can cause it to start wiggling and tear it apart. They have some pretty good explanations on the site. To calculate your drive shaft speed you need your tire diameter and rear gear ratio. I'm sure you can get that stuff off the web quickly too.
    I love you all guys
    I really appreciate your support
    Just seeking your advice ( I'll chk the website later after I get some numbers )
    Thanks in advance

My advice is when you have it running, you bring it to me to test...permanently... :)

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I can just imagine RB26DETT 8G.
    im saving money cause thats what i want to do!!
    (and obiusly get a nissan gtr 34 v specII )

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    My advice is when you have it running, you bring it to me to test...permanently... :)
    hahaha
    Last edited by omegaht; 10-14-2011 at 08:31 PM

I've decided to temporary keep the current drive shaft.
    Since this engine has HKS 272 Cam, Siemens 650cc Injectors, Brian Crower Valves/Springs, ...
    It must be tuned b4 so we can run it safely.
    For now, I will start with Idle tuning.
    Heading to the Tuning Shop

AEM EMU Seriers 2

AEM Boost Solenoid

AEM 3.5 Bar MAP Sensor

AEM O2 Sensor

AEM All-in-one Gauge

To be continued
    Last edited by Samman; 10-20-2011 at 12:34 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Good choice with the AEM. When you setup your boost settings using the boost solenoid make sure you tune the boost controller settings on the street. From my experiences it's more accurate than the dyno since the dyno can never duplicate driving loads exactly as they are during real driving
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Damm i want to see thar car runing now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Good choice with the AEM. When you setup your boost settings using the boost solenoid make sure you tune the boost controller settings on the street. From my experiences it's more accurate than the dyno since the dyno can never duplicate driving loads exactly as they are during real driving
    Thanks Brian, I'll keep that in mind

I'm drooling

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Wow this is gonna be sexy :D

Car went out of the garage today at last

Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-RCyOJTmDc
    It is a real RWD Galant

as ( Stewi ) said b4, Im gonna say: First 8g RWD swap. Completed.

Congrats!! That was fast work, incredible stuff man.
    Incredible what these guys are doing with these Galants lately.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Congrats!! That was fast work, incredible stuff man.
    Incredible what these guys are doing with these Galants lately.
    Poor Galants, I feel sorry for them ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Samman View Post
    Poor Galants, I feel sorry for them ^_^
    I feel sorry for the fool that pulls up next to one of these super G's and thinks he's got an easy win. That's serious pwnage taking place!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Congrats man!!
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Nice!!!

What did you do for the front hubs? Are they still the AWD hubs and you just removed the axles?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    AWEsome!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Love it! Congrats man, sounds like a success to me.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Congrats man. It's really sick. You should upload a couple more vids on youtube!!!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast