The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clear DTC Codes repost request

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Clear DTC Codes repost request

The tutorial "Clear DTC Codes without using a Scantool" in the knowledge base is missing the main info in the first post. If I understand correctly it's in the factory service manual, but i cant seem to find it in the copy I downloaded. Does anybody have a copy of this information, or at least a page number from the service manual in case i missed it. Thanks

just disconnect ur battery for 15 minutes

Normally I would do just that but this the second time it has came on, and I'm a little worried it is something more than a lose fuel cap or low fluids. From what hsinya said in the tutorial "it only resets minor codes. if you do it right and the SES light is still on, you have a major problem with the engine and should check the light with a scan tool.". This way if it does not go away I can buy a scantool and check it out before putting more miles on the car with a unknown problem. I live in a rural area and the nearest parts store that does a free scan is about 60-80 miles away.

I am scanning the FSM again to look for it, and I'll post if I find it.

I think i found it, but it looks like it's only for the auto-cruise control system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it has and OBD II Diagnostic system on it THE ONLY way to clear a SES code is with a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery on an OBD II set-up may turn out the light temporarily for a minor code but the code is still in the computer and will more than likely fail your car on an emissions inspection (if you have them). You can get an inexpensive code reader that will let you know what the code is and clear the code for less than $100. Don't expect it to allow you to see live data or anything like that, but it will clear your codes. You can get basic scan tools that will have more features for around $200. But just remember if you want to clear and OBD II computer code you need a reader, there IS NO OTHER WAY TO ERASE IT.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN