The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is towing possible!?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Is towing possible!?

Hey Mitsubishi, TGC and others,
    I am moving and looking at getting a hitch and trailer for my 2003 Galant i4, FWD, front disc brakes only. I can't find any towing capacity online and there is none in the manual. U-Haul claims that I can tow a 4'8" trailer with up 1175lbs in it. In my owner's manual it also says that "If you attempt to tow with this vehicle you may not have adequate braking" something along those lines. I found a towing capacity for the Lancer which was about 1000lbs as FWD but not sure if it has rear disc brakes.
    Any help I can get here?

Yes, you can tow with it. However, with any vehicle when towing you need to accommodate for additional weight. U-Haul would know quite well what you are able to tow. However, might I suggest renting a U-Haul truck, and get a trailer to tow your Galant on!

How far are you moving?

It's 816 miles. I actually just looked into getting the smaller 10' truck and a tow for my car but it's about 100$ more dollars just cuz the truck only gets 12 mpg... But I don't really want to put the stress on my car. Also I am moving from Colorado Springs so altitude is about 6000-8000 feet along some of the trip...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Yeah I would go with Dave's idea. Even if the truck + trailor is $500 more, don't risk your car, and good luck on the move!

Quote Originally Posted by ngwylie View Post
    It's 816 miles. I actually just looked into getting the smaller 10' truck and a tow for my car but it's about 100$ more dollars just cuz the truck only gets 12 mpg... But I don't really want to put the stress on my car. Also I am moving from Colorado Springs so altitude is about 6000-8000 feet along some of the trip...
    That $100 is going to be the best $100 you ever spent. Keep in mind you will also need to buy and install a tow hitch on your Galant (if you haven't already), which U-Haul can also install.

Ok guys thx I will most likely get the truck. Also, does uhaul even account for altitude? At 8000 altitude I lose a lot of power

I don't think your tranny will last much after that abuse. Be safe rent truck and trailer.

Yea, rent a tailor. I put mine to the test last wednesday, I towed my wrecked g about a mile up the road to the body shop with the g I got for parts. It made it with no problems doin 10 the whole way, but it deff didnt feel safe haha