The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 97 key fob help

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

97 key fob help

My new galant didn't come with a key fob and it really sux.lol I've never used a key to open my doors. Does anyone have a picture of there's so that I know what I'm looking for? The car is equipped with a stock security system so idk if the fob is the same or not. If they are the same does anyone know how to program my old one to work with my new car? If they are different can you get the part number for me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Did you ever figure this out? I'm currently trying to do the same.

nope

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Might as well get an aftermarket key-less entry system which will run about $130 installed which will include 2 key fobs. The stock security is too old and may not work anymore, nor would I trust it.

I got this fob for free with ebay bucks...I thought it would be a nice addition to my car since the damn alarm goes off when I open the door. I guess the question now is how do I disable it? Is there a keyless entry computer or something located somewhere I can unplug?

Well since you have it try it. But the alarm going off is a sign if it going bad because unlocking the car with the key should diksarm it.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

hmm, good point. The alarm disarms when I re-lock with the key though. I'm going to assume there might be a problem with the alarm, or maybe if theres a switch in the keyhole, it might be messed up causing it to not disarm when I unlock with the key.
    Either way I've been trying things I found online with no success. After giving up, I remembered that my old prelude had the keyless entry receiver box in the trunk-so I went ahead and looked in the trunk wondering if I'd be lucky to find it in there...and it was! So I went online and googled "omron keyless entry galant 1996". One of hte first results that popped up was an old service bulletin explaining everything about the keyless system.

There are six different types of key fobs for the 7g and other mitsu cars manufactured at the time. Two of them identical, but are manufactured by different companies (Omron and TRW). Each fob has different/similar instructions for reprogramming the keyfobs. There are also different fcc ids for each of the brands. I noticed that the key fob I have has a different fcc id than the receiver box, because the keyfob is made by TRW, which cloned the OMRON key fobs.
    Programming the trw would require jumping pins 1 and 4 in the obd data connector and doing some funky thing with the ignition switch and the hazard light switch, whereas the omron one has a simple switch on the receiver box.