The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: First USDM 8g AWD swap. Completed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Showing results 61 to 78 of 78

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    LOL nope, not yet.

This is still up in the air. I want it, because its baller, it saves weight and it allows for alot of fine tuning, but at the same time, it creates a ton of drivetrain noise and god forbid I ever bend something by hitting a pothole or something, I would be sooo f'ked
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

a little late to the party, but congrats!!!

this. is. awesome. I've been wanting to do this swap as well. Is this all you'd need to do the swap? like what all parts did you need to do the swap and how much did it cost?

More than you can afford pal, AWD.

lol ^

damn ! gj stewie , :D
    i started my conversion too but still early , only got the evo coilovers so far ....

so how is it?

u still running ur evo head setup ?

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

Hey, I noticed that you had to clearance your firewall to fit the Evo 8/9 tcase. Have you thought about running an Evo 5/6 tcase instead?
    They run under the subframe in an Evo instead of over it so I bet you wouldn't have to clearance the firewall at all! Also, I bet an 8G GVR4
    fuel tank would be a bolt in so you wouldn't have to cut your frame rails open. That would make the swap totally bolt in!!! Any thoughts?

The evo 5 and 6 tcase is good for like 350 horsepower. Anybody doing AWD is gonna need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchem1st View Post
    Hey, I noticed that you had to clearance your firewall to fit the Evo 8/9 tcase. Have you thought about running an Evo 5/6 tcase instead?
    They run under the subframe in an Evo instead of over it so I bet you wouldn't have to clearance the firewall at all! Also, I bet an 8G GVR4
    fuel tank would be a bolt in so you wouldn't have to cut your frame rails open. That would make the swap totally bolt in!!! Any thoughts?
    The main reason I didn't do it is because of what Silvertune said, but also in order to run the evo 8 case you have to drop the steering rack about 2 to 3 inches, and its easier to drop something than to raise the steering rack. When it was all said and done hacking up the stock subframe and what not, all 3 of us that did convert to awd went it on a custom frame so we could run evo front lca and evo steering rack. I think it should be tried that way this are more viable options for parts but I'm done with mine so thats not gonna happen lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Actually the Evo 5/6 tcase can handle plenty of power. Its the ayc rear diff that has issues with breaking; but the Evo 8/9 diffs have the same gear ratio so you can use an Evo 5/6 tcase and an Evo 8/9 diff and have no troubles. Doesn't apply to you since yours is already finished as you said; but something to note for guys looking to do their own awd swap!

Hey, got a quick question for you! Am I correct in saying that for the rear end part of the awd swap, everything was bolt up except for the 2G fuel tank?
    If the fuel tank is the only problem part of the rear end, I might have my buddy pick one up for us to swap in before he buys a the rear end so we can knock
    the hard part out first. Does the harness need to be modified at all or are the connectors all the same? Was gonna pm you but I figured it might be relevant info
    for others reading your thread.

Hey, got a quick question for you! Am I correct in saying that for the rear end part of the awd swap, everything was bolt up except for the 2G fuel tank?
    No, that was the only thing that was in a bolt in affair. I still ended up drilling another hole for one of the tank straps. The rear end isn't a bolt up thing, gott so some cutting and relocation of some bolts in the body
    If the fuel tank is the only problem part of the rear end, I might have my buddy pick one up for us to swap in before he buys a the rear end so we can knock
    the hard part out first. Does the harness need to be modified at all or are the connectors all the same? Was gonna pm you but I figured it might be relevant info
    for others reading your thread.
    Its easier to do it all at once, trust me. what do you mean by harness? you have to cut and splice the tank harness into the the galants wiring.

Oh, so adding the bolts to the frame rails is for the subframe as well then? I misunderstood and thought it was only for the fuel tank mounts.
    It mentions relocating fuel tank bolts on the first page though, so what's that about? Yeah, it's just cost concerns. Pretty much he won't be
    buying a donor car; so I figured we'd grab a piece at a time from the pull yard starting with the fuel system. The wiring harness is what I meant.
    So you used 2G fuel tank wiring and just spliced it in place of the Galant wiring? That's easy enough then. I wasn't sure if the Galants wiring for
    the fuel tank was the same as the 2G's or not. How much did you use from the 2G? I have to grab a pair of fuel pump pigtails for my Mirage build
    anyway, (2G connectors are the same as Evo 4-6.5) so I'll probably just grab the harness off of a 3rd 2G for the Galant project.
    Last edited by Alchem1st; 07-27-2014 at 05:12 PM

Its kinda hard to explain as I don't think any of us 4 did the same thing on each conversion lol. but yes you have to move body studs for the subframe to bolt up and do some cutting and clearancing for the tcase up front. best thing to do is look through the build threads

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Its kinda hard to explain as I don't think any of us 4 did the same thing on each conversion lol. but yes you have to move body studs for the subframe to bolt up and do some cutting and clearancing for the tcase up front. best thing to do is look through the build threads
    Haha fair enough! I know how it is lol. Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    where abouts did you guys get your front subframes made up? i know it was a group buy made from chrome moly but i cant seem to remember where brian said he got his.

brian roman and I all went in on it. https://www.facebook.com/NrgTechRacing?fref=nf

nice build i have been looking for some more pics of your and goosey's build. i have searched and search and found a few pics but not the build thread any way you guy could help me out a bit please. and trust me i have searched and search using the search tools with no luck. i currently have the engine in the car currently and i am working on the crossmembers now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234