The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 Galant est is bouncy

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

02 Galant est is bouncy

***02 Galant sport est 135000mls***

It passed an mot about a month ago with no advisories....yea right!!!

It's very bouncy/jerky over bumps ect, it just doesnt feel right, and when you go over speed bumps at anything more than crawling speed there's a clunk from the front as comes to rest.....there's obviously something not right somewhere but god knows what..

Struts they restrict the compression / rebound of your springs hence the clunk bounce ....clunk-compression ...bounce-rebound.
    Last edited by master_visionary; 10-03-2011 at 10:31 AM
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Replace all four struts and strut mounts. Worn struts cannot properly dampen the vibrations received from uneven road surfaces.

Oh and check the front sway bar endlinks
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Replace all four struts and strut mounts. Worn struts cannot properly dampen the vibrations received from uneven road surfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    Oh and check the front sway bar endlinks

Why the hell should I when it was mot just 3-4wks ago!!!....these things would have showed up and at least got advisories

I smell con men sellers (dealers!!!)

Everything that were explain above plus +

Don't forget to replace the front bump stops. Most likely they are either worn out or destroyed. If it's making clunck sounds, the struts are riding against metal to metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu63 View Post
    Why the hell should I when it was mot just 3-4wks ago!!!....these things would have showed up and at least got advisories

I smell con men sellers (dealers!!!)
    The dealer cannot condemn the struts unless they see leakage or other visible issues. However, after 50,000 miles (some cars less, some cars more) it is considered an industry average that your struts should be replaced. The one main reason being the hydraulic fluid breaks down like every other fluid on your car, and needs servicing. Since struts and shocks are under high compression they aren't easily refilled with oil (racing/motorcycle applications don't count), they get replaced. They would need to ne completely rebuilt, which would be time consuming and cost prohibitive.

How many miles on the car? What recent services have you had done? How long has it been driving as described? Have you checked your tire pressures and tire condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu63 View Post

It's very bouncy/jerky over bumps ect, it just doesnt feel right, and when you go over speed bumps at anything more than crawling speed there's a clunk from the front as comes to rest.....there's obviously something not right somewhere but god knows what..
    I have the same problem in mine and I DID replace all 4 struts/shocks, two rear end links (front ones were good apparently) and passenger side upper control arm about 3 months ago... I'm also wondering what it could be cause my car rides like shit and I hear the clunking the OP mentioned above...

What other parts can be replaced to make the suspension as good as new???..Please help us.

thanks
    Last edited by littlejuanito; 10-18-2011 at 05:53 PM