The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Twin Turbo Conversion to Single Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

Twin Turbo Conversion to Single Turbo

Hey guys, i've got a 1995 7th generation Galant Twin Turbo VR4, i've recently blown the rear banks turbo and was about to start getting it replaced when my brother asked me "why dont I just convert it to single turbo?" So here I am, wanting to convert it to single turbo. How would I go about this guys? What parts would I need, is it hard to do, can anyone here help me out with some steps? I love this car to peices, and I dont want to just leave it in the driveway collecting rust like all my other car's i've blown up have done! Haha.
    Cheers guys (and gals?)

Josh

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You would have to buy a prefabbed kit with manifolds and piping or have something custom made. To convert to a single turbo setup you wil have to redo the manifolds to work for a single turbo setup since the factory setup it twin turbo with a turbo on each manifold. Either finding a kit premade or having one custom made..its going to take some $$$ unless you can fab up your own piping and manifold design.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Run the front headers under the engine put a twin scroll in the rear ones place fmic and a custom cowl hood you should be good. Then mail me the parts you discard so I can tinker
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Ahh well that just sucks doesn't it haha. Sorry im a bit of a newbie with engine mods and shit aye, only just left school and am getting into cars now. So what do you mean by prefabbed kit? Would it just be cheaper to replace both the turbo's and keep it twin turbo? Because I only really plan on using it as a weekend driver, uses far too much gas especially with my heavy foot :P

Well then just fix it you seem to lack the knowledge or true desire to pull off a mod like this

Me I'm a lil of both

Alright i'm here because i'm new to this, im asking for help from people who do know what they are doing, admittedly I dont know what I am doing, hence why I am asking for advice. I've got mates who do know and who will help me, but I want to know what people think before I slap down a lump sum to get it done, if you dont have any advice for me, dont post, simple.
    Last edited by overboost4; 10-03-2011 at 11:14 PM

Ok I wasn't tryna dog you just saying this is the kinda mod you gotta commit to so with that being said lets build (in theory) your engine is already made for boost so your good there, twin turbos give you quicker spool while single gives you more later with a longer spool so if you drive between 2-4k stay twin, you like being 3-6k go single. To go single.. choose if you want the Turbo fore or aft the engine. Then eyeball a pipe layout based on available clearance. Fore the engine means less intake piping =quicker spool but more exhaust piping = higher engine bay heat . Aft the engine means less exhaust piping = lower bay heat but longer spool times (by a few hundred RPMs) so consider the gain/sacrifice margin of each setup and then let me know and ill sketch something up.

I would personally love to see you pull off a big T VR4. Good luck and if you do get your hands really dirty makes the car that much more enjoyable

P.S. this will be custom but seriously badass
    Last edited by master_visionary; 10-03-2011 at 11:51 PM

Me I'm a lil of both

Nah sweet as mate, is there any way to upload pictures here? Ive just got a picture of my engine bay so I can post up and show you. I was thinking my engine is on the right side of my bay, so would there be a possibility of putting it on the left hand side of the engine? Kind of not before, but not after the engine if im making sence? That way i wont be compromising excessive engine bay heat with slower spooling etc, it will all kind of even itself out that way? But yeah not too sure how to post up a picture... Cheers

Yu got a smart phone

Me I'm a lil of both

Yeah I do mate but I live in New Zealand LOL, you got a hotmail address or something? Could send you a picture through there.
    Gizz a hoon!

[email protected]

Send em

And download the photobucket app then just copy paste the image URLs from there

Me I'm a lil of both

so what you want to do is to route both sides exhaust to the spot you want the turbo to be. The easiest spot is in front of the engine like this. in this case you'll have to plug and remove the rear oil feed line and the oil return line and also plug the holes on the rear side of the oil pan.

and here's a prefabbed kit

you might wanna look into the 3000gt vr4 stuff and get yourself familiarized with these thing before attempting such conversion. the 3000gt parts might work on your engine too.

the 7gs in the US didnt come with v6 so you its hard for us to explain things that no one has done before. The only singe turbo converted Galant i have seen is Mante's and its an imported 8g vr4.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

That.... Is beautiful. Lol. So what kind of turbos do these twin turbo's run do you know? I have been looking on google and a bit on here but I just can not find out what they are, I was told my turbos are TDO4's but im not too sure, can't seem to find that anywhere on the turbo.
    Cheers
    Gizz a hoon!

Get me them pics I have something in mind

Me I'm a lil of both

Yeah mate just sent it now, tell me when you got it because I dont know if I done it right LOL
    Gizz a hoon!

Just curious what tie is it where your at overboost its 2am here and I'm across the hall from my wife messing with this 2g Turbo I just was given

Me I'm a lil of both

Its exactly 8pm over here dude. Wanted to go out and have a play with my car but its a bit dark for that lol
    Gizz a hoon!

your stock turbos are 13b or 13g, im not sure, but for a single turbo conversion to a 2.oL v6 i'd start with at least 16g if not a 50 trim turbo
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Sorry mate, can you tell me that in noob language? Haha
    Gizz a hoon!

Go big .. and the downside of putting it between the banks is its over the tranny and heat kills trannies

Me I'm a lil of both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast