The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shift Button

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Shift Button

Is there anyway to remove the need for the button on top of the shift knob/lever? Or even anyway to permanently depress it (so the tranny thinks it's pushed down) so a manual shift knob could be thrown in the G. Going to relocate the O/D switch to the dash so all that is left is the "park/reverse safety" button.

this is a very bad idea. once that shift button is removed you could end up shifting into reverse on the freeway by accident and that would end badly.

did you know there are auto shift knobs that look like manual ones and have no button? i have one where the whole knob pushes down to depress the shift lock.
    Last edited by Reelax; 10-03-2011 at 11:34 PM

Yeah i saw those, but some site somewhere said that some auto trannies didn't need buttons to shift out of and into park. Idk, your knob doesn't look bad though. Who makes it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thestangcrave View Post
    Yeah i saw those, but some site somewhere said that some auto trannies didn't need buttons to shift out of and into park. Idk, your knob doesn't look bad though. Who makes it?
    the autos that don't need the button have shift gates like this:

in order to shift the knob has to be moved both up/down AND over... that prevents the accidental shift to reverse/park from drive. additionally the lever is also held in position by a spring that creates tension against being moved sideways accidentally.

my knob (and e-brake handle) iare made by AC AUTOTECHINIC.

Last edited by Reelax; 10-04-2011 at 01:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    this is a very bad idea. once that shift button is removed you could end up shifting into reverse on the freeway by accident and that would end badly.

did you know there are auto shift knobs that look like manual ones and have no button? i have one where the whole knob pushes down to depress the shift lock.
    My old g was like this when I got it. I don't know how to so it but I can say that the car will not go into reverse at high speeds. Most all cars nowadays have a safety thing to keep it from doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

I took mine apart and put it back together the wrong way and never bothered to fix it so now my button is pushed in all the time and i just move it back and forth to shift.

Yeah that's how mine was when I got it. My new one works right though and it sucks trying to get used to it.lol

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....