The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 03 eclipse wont start

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

03 eclipse wont start

Hi guys, my eclipse wont start. Last week on Tuesday night, I move the car about 8 feet just to get my recycling bins to the front of the house. The next day my brother wakes me up and tells me that my car wont start. The car cranks but won't turn over.

Basic info: 03 eclipse gs, 112k, fresh oil change and coolant flush. Only performance mod is a catback exhaust.

My dad thinks it's the fuel pump, so he took apart the back seat and unplugged the connections to all the things hooked up to where the fuel pump is. He noticed one of the pins has burn marks around it on the pigtail, if it helps my dad sprayed the TB with starter fluid and it would run for a bit then cuts off.

Any guesses or ideas would be more than helpful. Also, do they make those books that tell you how to fix stuff on certain model cars for the 3g/8g 4g64?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Well here is some questions...does the engine crank over at all? If not than see or hear if you hear a clicking sound coming from the starter and if not than it could be the starter or relay itself...or could be battery. If anything take out one of the spark plugs and have your father look down the spark plug hole into the cylinder while you turn the battery power on so you see if the injectors primes the cylinder. Another thing is that since you have the back seat out try to listen very carefully and when turning on the power that you hear the fuel pump. Could be crank angle sensor thats gone bad...it shouldnt be that hard to find out the problem. Take your time and do these steps one by one. Good luck my friend and hope that helped.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Thanks for the respond Jesus. I don't hear any clicking when i try to start it, it just cranks. Also, I did have the main relay replaced about 2 years ago.

More bad news, last week while I was at school, my dad took off the fuel pump and now he can't tighten it in place. Fuck.

Good news, I got a book for the 95-01 eclipse but their stuff is just a mess in that book. Spark plugs are changed and gapped now. Just trying to get fuel pump in.

Anyone one else with ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    My dad thinks it's the fuel pump, so he took apart the back seat and unplugged the connections to all the things hooked up to where the fuel pump is. He noticed one of the pins has burn marks around it on the pigtail, if it helps my dad sprayed the TB with starter fluid and it would run for a bit then cuts off.
    This makes me think it's a fuel problem. If it runs with fuel in it (starter fluid), I think your fuel pump should be replaced. You should NOT have burn marks by any fuel connections. This is dangerous lol, seriously.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Thanks keith. I did pick up a new fuel pump. Trying to get it in as we speak. Someone at the parts store said it could be the main relay. Do you know where that is located?

Got the 3g running. I took the old fuel pump and tested it, it worked. Turns out that the side pigtail that connects to one of the harnesses inside the canister that holds the fuel pump shorted.

So now the car is running but with a mean tick, and its not the normal lifter tick. Also, I have the Service engine light on now. Any ideas as to why? It has new spark plugs, new coolant and a oil change that's maybe 3 weeks old.

Got the 3g running. I took the old fuel pump and tested it, it worked. Turns out that the side pigtail that connects to one of the harnesses inside the canister that holds the fuel pump shorted.

So now the car is running but with a mean tick, and its not the normal lifter tick. Also, I have the Service engine light on now. Any ideas as to why? It has new spark plugs, new coolant and a oil change that's maybe 3 weeks old.
    If you can make it to MOD, I'll scan it for you, see what the CEL is. Check to make sure your spark plugs are tight, they'll make a ticking/hissing noise if loose, I know this from having one pop out of the head before.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    If you can make it to MOD, I'll scan it for you, see what the CEL is. Check to make sure your spark plugs are tight, they'll make a ticking/hissing noise if loose, I know this from having one pop out of the head before.
    It would be great to meet u in person but I have a 3 hr american government class at 1pm. So school takes priority but im not confident in how long it will keep running. I've only drove it about a mile down the street to get gas and back. On Monday when I have no school, ill check plugs and oil and may be replace them again.

Appreciate the offer though.

I wouldn't guess, but just to be covering all the bases, I'd do a compression check for all cylinders, and a fuel pressure test at each injector along the fuel rail. Where did you get the fuel pump from?

I believe the pump that was in the car was the one from the factory. It is a used car.

Also, I've heard of those tests before but that's about it. Would a normal garage/mechanic be able to do it?

I've read up on compression test, will do one soon if funds permit.

Also, the Service Engine Soon light turned off on its own.

Any body with a secret tip to help remove the gas smell from my interior?
    Last edited by carl3g; 10-11-2011 at 05:22 PM