The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap??

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

5 speed swap??

hey guys was wondering who in texas has done the 5 speed swap in the 4g64???

Not sure who all has but I know I've been wanting to do one on my 8g. Just need to figure out what I need to get the trans out of. Time to search...
    !MaD_JaCk!

Sorry to resurrect so late. I've done one (I'm in ATX), so feel free to hit me up with questions.

To avoid my mistakes:
    Make sure you have 7 3G flywheel bolts. The ones that come with the ACT2100 kit were too long for me (I had a Fidanza lightweight flywheel). If you're going pure OEM, then don't worry about it.

Make sure you get the 5spd tranny mount. I thought the auto and manual ones were the same (they weren't). Cost me about a week of shipping time.

Cutting away the hole for the master cylinder is a serious pain. Make sure you have something that will cut a 2+ inch circular hole in the firewall.

Read the threads on here about it, many times over.

I'd also recommend getting a stainless clutch line.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

So if I use an aftermarket clutch and flywheel I need 2g flywheel bolts or do I need the OEM 3g bolts I've gotten conflicting information on this.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

For a aftermarket flywheel you need the 2g bolts

4g64T 5spd

[QUOTE=charris;724480]

Cutting away the hole for the master cylinder is a serious pain. Make sure you have something that will cut a 2+ inch circular hole in the firewall.

That's easy should take no more than 15 min with a compact drill and a hole saw! The pain in the ass part is removing the shifter cable...

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    For a aftermarket flywheel you need the 2g bolts
    Thanks man, my bad. I shoulda looked up the part number first, I still have the bag they came in.

[QUOTE=deeznutz;724633]
    Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post

That's easy should take no more than 15 min with a compact drill and a hole saw! The pain in the ass part is removing the shifter cable...
    Now imagine doing it without a hole saw, like I did :P
    I should probably rephrase my original statement: get a hole saw so drilling the master cylinder isn't a pain :)

Also, go get one of those fancy flex shafts that'll hold a socket. Only way you'll get the shifter cable bolts out. I think you can also loosen them if you grip the tips from the engine side of the firewall. Just be careful not to deform the threads too much.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

Thanks guys, i finally decided to keep the g so im trying to make sure she's in good running order and the make small but subtle changes every month but i really wanna do the 5 speed swap.
    Slowly but its getting done
    2001 galant es

Hey man, gonna resurrect this one. Do you still have the G? You still planning to do the 5spd swap?