The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Prothane Bushing kit; would you do it again knowing what you now know

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Prothane Bushing kit; would you do it again knowing what you now know

Couple of questions concerning replacing my OEM rubber suspension bushings.
    1. If you had it to do again, would you still use Prothane bushings to replace your OEM bushings?
    2. Do Energy bushings have the same squeaking/squealing problems as reported with the Prothane bushings?
    3. Will acetone affect Prothane’s urethane bushings?
    4. Has anyone tried using a couple of Energy bushings with a Prothane kit? Specifically I was thinking about using the softer Energy bushings on the front lateral lower control arm where the shock fork bolts to it (due to reports of extremely harsh ride if that one is replaced with a prothane bushing) and the rear trailing arm (due to reports of broken trailing arms after using Prothane bushings).
    5. Do Energy Suspension bushings wear out?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

1. Prothane all the way, OEM sucks
    2.Yes
    3. If just gonna wipe the bushings then no. If you soak them for long period of time then maybe
    4.Yes i have mixed Prothane and Energy bushings for these two specific spots that you mentioned. Where the front shock mounts to the control arm - it has to be prothane since Energy do not make bushings for there
    5.Eventually all parts go bad, even the aftermarket.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Yes I wish every car came with prothanes. I'd never go back, and yes I'd do it over again. I had energy on my black gs and I'm glad I went to prothane on my white gs. Much much better.
    I've never had squeals on either the energy or the prothane. Mainly because.I was extremely systematic in the install making sure none of the bushings or mounting surfaces were contaminated by dirt, oil, grime, or shavings. I used gloves and a 2 person system, including wiping everything down with denatured alcohol.
    I installed every prothane bushing, including the shock mount and trailing arm bushing. My ride is superb, and I've not had any issues with the trailing arm.

I've been daily driving and racing for about..... 5 years on this setup with no maintenance, even the rmdsm prothane swaybar bushings.

A factory shock and spring galant will ride and handle dramatically better with prothane over own, and definitely over old worn out oem.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I love em as well....the guys ^^^ have pretty much covered everything you need to know. All I can say is do it

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Prothane kits come in red and black and as someone once said, we all know red makes you car go faster. Despite that I opted for the black as trying to do everything to prevent squeaks/squeals. I'll be heading over to Harbor Freight to pick up a hydralic press so I can avoid burning and cutting them out. I have a spare suspension set up from a 95S I parted out so I am thinking of just doing the prothanes on it and then swaping them with the ones on my 94ES. Then it is alignment time. I am still undecided about using prothane on front shock mount and rear trailing arms but based on DOHCstunr experience I'll probably do them too. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by eksz; 10-24-2011 at 08:29 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Honestly if I came across a stock GS and I had the intention of keeping it bone stock. The only mod I would do is 16" wheels/tires, shocks, and Prothanes. Leave everything else OEM.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 10-24-2011 at 11:35 AM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

^^^Liar! you can't leave well enough alone! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    ^^^Liar! you can't leave well enough alone! LOL
    LOL. True. It took me about a full 60 seconds of typing and deleting to narrow it down to just that.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo