The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My Girls 95 Galant SCREECHING !

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

My Girls 95 Galant SCREECHING !

Whats up guys? Brand new to the forum and i signed up for my girlfriend who has a 95 Galant. Her car was doing this crazy screeching noise when she use to drive it. It only lasted a minute or two then it would go away.

She wanted it completely gone so i decided to change the belts. The steering belt and the alternator belt is the ones i replaced with brand new ones. NOW the screeching just wont go away. Its like nails on a chalkboard bad! What could be the problem? Do I need to tighten or loosen these belts?

Hopefully I get a quick response because im only in town for today and its really embarrassing for her driving around. Thanks !

You should be able to press on them,and they should go down slightly if they dont they are to tight and need to be loosened.They shouldnt have to much slack but they should be to tight either.It is the best i can explain it.

So when i press on the belts, it should give a bit right? but not too much. I shouldnt press it and not be able to press it down is what your saying ? that's considered too tight.

Also, how do i tighten/loosen these belts? Is it the tensioner that i need to adjust ? Im not too car savvy sorry guys. Im assuming from what i researched online that the tensioner is the wheel that the belt is on? and i can adjust it by messing with the blot in the middle? tighten and loosening it ?

please correct me if im totally wrong !!!

Yeah they should go in very slightly if they dont they are to tight.You do adjust it by the tensioner by the bolt in the middle of tensioner.

Does every belt have this tensioner ?

Yeah each belt should have one.I am not really to sure though since i never had to them on my car.

Yeah tighten them....should clear things up

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

It could be a pulley
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You replaced all the belts with new ones and hopefully you adjusted tension ...this should eliminate the "screeching" sound.

Now if it continues...its possible that your harmonic balancer (Crank belt pulley) is seperating from the damper insulation. This is kinda common with vehicles which have extended periods of oil leaks which the pulley is exposed to for a long period of time or just due to age.

Inspect the belts..if they are wearing out on the outside edges..its most likely the harmonic balancer since the outside ring guide is slowly seperating from the damper insulation causing misalignment which is causing the noise.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Most likely just tighten them. New belts sometimes need to be re-adjusted, they sometimes expand a little.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I suggest inspecting your harmonic balancer if you adjust the tension on the belts. Its not hard to adust tension..as long its not too tight or too loose.

IF you already checked the accessory belts..then inspect the harmonic balancer.

This will eventually happen.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

^ Happened to me. But the belts just popped off with no squeaks. I remember I had mine tack welded back together till I could find an OEM since replacement auto parts were crap. The other thing I found was screeching loudly was tensioner pulley on the power steering, the bearing was gone I got a new one from rock auto for 50 bucks.

BTW I dont recommend any do what I did welding the Crank pulley together, I only did so because I needed to get around for a few days ( short trips). It is called a Harmonic Balancer for a reason. For me it was 3 days later that I had a new OEM.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Check the belts as said and if nothing works take off the AC belt and see what happens. When the compressor went on my it had that screeching sound and it was so loud that I cut the belt and it went away
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    Check the belts as said and if nothing works take off the AC belt and see what happens. When the compressor went on my it had that screeching sound and it was so loud that I cut the belt and it went away
    Same thing happened to mine, horrible noise, was the AC belt.