The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wiring Help

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Wiring Help

Not sure if this is the right place for this but since it talks about electronics figured why not.
    So my old overdrive switch wouldn't stay on (you had to hold it if you wanted O/D on). Decided to replace the switch with a lighted rocker that was going to go on the dash by the cruise control.
    pulled apart the shifter knob and found three wires all leading to the O/D switch.
    Black (had current when the switch is on), Red (constant 12v), and Yellow (light in instrument panel). Cut these wires and tried to hook them up to the new switch. got confused on which terminal to hook to wires so I used this pic.
    http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...%20Diagram.gif

not sure if that diagram is right.I hooked up the black wire to the ACCessory terminal and the red to the power and black to the ground (the yellow hasn't gone anywhere yet)..but when I hooked it up it did not work and I lost being able to manually shift into Low and second gear (still does it automatically in drive though)

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I even wiring the switch up right? What should I do?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thestangcrave View Post
    I hooked up the black wire to the ACCessory terminal and the red to the power and black to the ground (the yellow hasn't gone anywhere yet)..but when I hooked it up it did not work and I lost being able to manually shift into Low and second gear (still does it automatically in drive though)
    So there is 2 black wires?

try yellow in the middle.

3 wires
    one Red
    one Black and
    one Yellow

red has constant power
    yellow only has voltage when switch was in OFF position
    black only had power when switch was in ON position

had a thought that the yellow would be for the instrument panel light since dash light illumination said O/D OFF

hope this helps

hmmm not sure how it works sorry bro, you might not be able to use a simple switch..
    you are using the body of the car for the ground when you were checking voltage right?

So, it sounds like you took the black wire and connected one side to the switch and the other end to ground, red wire connected to the switch's input, and yellow unused. Is that right?

I would think you'd connect the black wire to the cut end where the switch was, I'm thinking it goes back to the transmission to let it know the button is depressed, instead of connecting it to ground. I'm not familiar with the OD switch, the 8G doesn't have one, but that's what I'd try if it were me. Hope that helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Fixed the problem, the shifting problem was likely due to the blown fuse I found replaced that and hooked the Red wire (constant 12v) up the the POWER terminal of my switch and the Black (Only had power when switch was on). All works now. Thanks for everyone's help