The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rods and Pistons

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Senior TGC Member

Rods and Pistons

Anyone know of a company that makes stronger connecting rods for the 6G72? All I can find is for the 4G63 engines. I was also thinking about Ripp Mod pistons...I'm curious to run 10.5:1 compression ratios and was wondering if this would produce more power but along with it bring about some disadvantages.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

one of the eclipse guys put up a set of RPW pistons and rods on Ebay. may wanna talk ot him to see if he would consider selling it to you. just look up RPW on Ebay
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

I thought the rods in our cars were pretty good, its the pistons that suck. You may want to look into that before you upgrade the rods.
    Love,
    Matt

Senior TGC Member
    Thanks. Only reason I looking into the rods is just in case I move to FL and decide to run 40 psi boost :laughing: But you're right the stock rods I hear are the same strength ones used in the 3000GT VR-4 engine. Supposedly.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

TWISTED II
    i got my rods from a Pauter.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought the rods in our cars were pretty good, its the pistons that suck. Â*You may want to look into that before you upgrade the rods.</div>

I thought the rods were pretty good, from what i heard from the 3g guyz until i blew up my first motor because i cracked a rod, split it right near the end..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

kemist:
    our rods are the same as 4g63 turbo engines ... they are pretty strong rods, able to sustain about 350 hp no problem. How excately did u crack your 4 cyl rod?
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

I ordered Crower rods for my 2.4!! The V6 pistons cost BIGGGGGGG money but there worth it!!

Faction
    my pistons are molydenum coated for less friction

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>kemist:
    our rods are the same as 4g63 turbo engines ... they are pretty strong rods, able to sustain about 350 hp no problem. How excately did u crack your 4 cyl rod?</div>

From what i could see it was from over spraying to much nitrous.. Im on my second set of crower rods at the moment..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

TWISTED II
    well duh, everyone knows he has like 800 hp at the wheels. runs like, low 9's?

ok so since there is a big Variety who's rods ar the best dollar for dollar? PSI Per PSI?
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok so since there is a big Variety who's rods ar the best dollar for dollar? PSI Per PSI?</div>

I will still say the Crowers are pretty tight until i break'em, but who really knows until you push your motor 2 the limit..

00GTZ00
    Yes running 10.5:1 will give you more power, Bot if you plan on running a S/C or turbo I would lower the compression. But if you stick with the nitrous, get the 10.5:1 pistons. as far as draw backs, you will be putting more stress on the engine (all the way around) and I would suggest to do a full rebuild. This way you know all the parts are new. and if you get new pistons get new rods too! it would be silly not to get new forged rods to go along with your pistons.

but hey that is just my $0.0002

so where can i get a set of rods and pistons for my I4 and what else would you guys recomend upgrading
    "run your car, not your mouth"

http://www.norcal-performance.com

call JE pistons for the pistons, they already have measurments for it (custom made pistons) cuz me and Ak1 got the pistons from them.
    By the way I am talking 4 cyl here. As far as rods - u can get any rods from 4g63 turbo engine since we have the same excat connecting rods.
    Check out my ride at:

cool so i would have to wait for them to make em right how are your holding up what was the compression ratio i need 10:1 and should i get h beam connecting rods?
    "run your car, not your mouth"

http://www.norcal-performance.com

custom pistons like in your case - u r looking about 3 weeks of waiting. Don't forget about the rings also man.
    I went with low compression myself, I dunno about high though...
    Check out my ride at:

Nick VR4
    You should always replace in the standard conrod bolts for the ARP kit when increasing the boost over the standard specification. If this is not done then there is risk of spinning the big end shell, damaging the crank or even destroying the engine such as a conrod coming through the side of the block.