The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Snow tires?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Snow tires?

I need two tires for the front of my 02' galant. I have 195/65R15 on their now but I found a set of 205/65R15 snow tires for $50.00 and I can afford that lol!! So I want to know if it ok to use them on my stock G? Thanks:)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    short answer, yes.

Yes. But only two? I'd buy two more. Snow tires are only effective when on all four corners. I lol when people only put two snow tires on the front of a FWD car.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Well obviously for two tires@$50.00 they are not new. I have brand new tires on the back (not snow tires) so how do you figure they only work if on all 4 corners? Gotta be better then what's on there now.

Ever drive around in the snow in a FWD car with your e-brake on? If you don't have even traction on all four tires you'll be a danger to yourself and others. The rear end can slide all over the place while the front stays fairly planted. I'm sure you can picture a few potential outcomes of that.

Check out Genral Tires' snow tire. I just bought our first send and the reviews are great. If you can't afford snow tires on all four stick with good all seasons and some chains or cables.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

From what I see every winter, FWD cars will behave like RWD in the snow to ignorant and unprepared drivers.

Used snow tires just sounds like a waste to me, as the majority of their grip is gone after 50% of the tread is gone (very soft compound)

As said, buy new. General and Bridgestone make the best snow tires, IMO.

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

They seem decent...but it's not like you're buying used wheels. Makes me wonder why they're so cheap, seems fishy...

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    They seem decent...but it's not like you're buying used wheels. Makes me wonder why they're so cheap, seems fishy...
    Yeah I might just go get 4 new all season tires then I'll have 2 good spares:)

I'd recommend the All Seasons I use: Khumo Solus Xpert KH20. As far as I know, it's special to Sears Auto shops, dunno if it's on TireRack.

-Chris-

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT buy just two snow tires. You literally risk yourself to be in an incredibly dangerous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT buy just two snow tires. You literally risk yourself to be in an incredibly dangerous situation.
    You should see all the stubborn customers that come into my shop asking for just two snow tires on their cars. lol Anx they always want them on the drivewheels too. Herp Derp.

Thankfully, my shop recently got pampflets about snow tire safety, and we won't sell anything less than four snow tires per vehicle.

It's amazing how easily misinformed people are about basic vehicle safety and dynamics...

-Chris-

Im running these babies with 215/45-17 studded
    http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...+Winter+i*Pike

In northern europe its mandatory to have winter tires. In Sweden at least since I live here, winter tires are allowed from October 1st until the first monday after easter but by law have to be on the car from december 1st to the 31st of march. The thread wear cant be as little as 3mm or you get fined which gives you at lot of traction and depth while driving. I bought my set for my galant last season so it will be the 2nd season that they will be running on my car. I have had the car for three years now in december and when I bought it it had 15" for wintertires. I felt that since the car was going to be dropped I wanted a whole picture of having 17" summer and 17" winter or snowtires as you guys call them.
    Thomas R aka Valpen
    --------------------
    CEO & Eventmanager
    Mitsubishi Club Sweden

Former New yorker....
    94-10 60th Ave
    113 73 Elmhurst, NY
    School PS13 - then moved to Europe

Hankooks are some of the best snow tires you can buy they hook up nice on the ice. That's a bargain and I would buy them if it was closer to me. Heck go buy some cheap snow tires for the rear if needed. Not bragging but I have run snow tires on the front and summers on the rear for many years and we have snow for 7 months of the year. If you know the limits, how it is going to handle and don't let the wife drive it...

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Hankooks are some of the best snow tires you can buy they hook up nice on the ice. That's a bargain and I would buy them if it was closer to me. Heck go buy some cheap snow tires for the rear if needed. Not bragging but I have run snow tires on the front and summers on the rear for many years and we have snow for 7 months of the year. If you know the limits, how it is going to handle and don't let the wife drive it...
    No offense, that is just crazy to run only two snow tires, especially on a fwd vehicle and only on the front axle.

@Skyforger I don't sell anything less than four snow tires no matter the drivetrain setup.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 10-20-2011 at 11:54 AM

That's how it should be.

I wish the US would take into effect laws Canada and Sweden have about snow tires, way too many people run around on summer tires in the winter months where I live and cause accidents. People are a danger to themselves...

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    That's how it should be.

I wish the US would take into effect laws Canada and Sweden have about snow tires, way too many people run around on summer tires in the winter months where I live and cause accidents. People are a danger to themselves...
    They'd have to do it state by state. I just can't picture mandating snow tires in Texas or Florida. Colorado though, absolutely.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

That's what I meant. lol

Obviously the states that don't see snow regularly won't have such a law. Long Island sure as hell does need one. Too many douche canoes either running around in the snow with bald summer/all season tires on their Acuras, Infinitis, BMWs, Mercedes and the like, driving way too fast and causing accidents, and then you have the oblivious idiots running with aftermarket wheels with low profile summer tires in the snow, being a danger to themselves on others on the road. Really irks the hell outta me.

-Chris-