The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: can i run 2g cas/coilpacks/ecu on 1g head ?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

can i run 2g cas/coilpacks/ecu on 1g head ?

Got the parts available
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Depends on what year 2g cas. If it's a 95-96 then no unless you want to try and weld and fit it under the intake cam. If it's for a 97-99 sensor you have to tap the intake cam for the bolt for the sensor. Most people run a 1g cam angle sensor. Magnus motorsports and road race engineering are great sources. Look up 1g in a 2g at rre. 2g coil pack and ecu are fine.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

What if I just run a 1g ecu and coilpacks

Me I'm a lil of both

You can't run a 1g ecu in a 96-98 7g as a 1g is obd1 we need obd2 therefore 2g is the option. 2g ecu, 2g coil packs, 1g cam angle sensor is what you need.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i got one from the junk for 30 off a NT 4g63. time and money

Running a 1g ECU on a 7g Galant is also tricky because of the fan wiring. A 2g DSM ECU or an EVO 8 ECU are your best bet. I'd go for the Evo 8 ECU personally. Check DSM Tuners for a thread on running an Evo 8 ECU in a 2g.

On a side note, I know you have the 1g head but the 2g head flows better. The very top end is a little less but for daily driving the 2g head is superior. It'd make your sensor issues easier too.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Running a 1g ECU on a 7g Galant is also tricky because of the fan wiring. A 2g DSM ECU or an EVO 8 ECU are your best bet. I'd go for the Evo 8 ECU personally. Check DSM Tuners for a thread on running an Evo 8 ECU in a 2g.

On a side note, I know you have the 1g head but the 2g head flows better. The very top end is a little less but for daily driving the 2g head is superior. It'd make your sensor issues easier too.
    i dont know how it would make the sensor issues easier, he would still need a 1g cas, 2g 97-99 external, meaning tap the cam, or 2g under the cam gear. personally i dont think the head matters, it matters more of th understanding of how everything goes hand and hand with each other which he is learning right now. his year galant like mine is best for a 2g ecu. i would run a 95-96 ecu with the 1g cam sensor and just swapping the coils to make it run that way and then if he ever goes big, eprom and link which is plug and play then.

he needs:
    2g 95-96 ecu
    2g coil pack and power transistor
    1g cam angle sensor.

i have a 96 ecu and the coil packs and transistor. i would only sell the ecu if i got a 96-98 galant ecu in return as i was going to take the connectors off the ecu so i could make a jumper harness from the galant to the 2g ecu.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

How much we talking ill pm you my number call me well discuss details

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i dont know how it would make the sensor issues easier, he would still need a 1g cas, 2g 97-99 external, meaning tap the cam, or 2g under the cam gear. personally i dont think the head matters, it matters more of th understanding of how everything goes hand and hand with each other which he is learning right now. his year galant like mine is best for a 2g ecu. i would run a 95-96 ecu with the 1g cam sensor and just swapping the coils to make it run that way and then if he ever goes big, eprom and link which is plug and play then.
    If he's running a 2g ECM and a 2g head, can't he just use the factory 2g cam and crank sensors rather than a 1g CAS? Mitsu must have switched to the new system for a reason. I'm assuming it is more accurate/faster. The same sensors work with an Evo ECU.

The nice thing with the Evo ECU is it is faster, flashable and has a lot of support. Flash ability means never having to shell out $500 for Link. Just hook a cable up to the OBDII port and upload the new tune. I'd definitely pick one of those up over a 2g ECU. Apparently the 99 DSM ECU is also flashable. Again, details on DSM Tuners.

The head does matter. Flow tests have proven the 2g head flows better than the 1g head. That means faster turbo spool and better throttle response.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 10-22-2011 at 05:55 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I know all about the flashable 98-99 ecus and stuff like that. The 95-96 eclipse and the 94 galant Gs have the sensor under the cam gear. The 1g sensor is much better as it allows for extra timing adjustment as well. The 97-99 have the external like the 1g but you have to tap the cam as that one has a bolt to hold the sensor. I have evoscan and ecu flash but I think link is easier and more user friendly.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Fair enough but why would you say the 1g sensor is "much better?" What is this based on?

For timing adjustment with the ECU stuff we're talking about the user can just change the timing via software instead of hardware.

In the end it may just be preference. I haven't used ECMLink so I can't comment on it.

with the 1g cam angle sensor you can adjust the base timing. all the others are computer enhanced. i can set my base timing to + or - whateever i like for base timing and then tune more on top of that.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

So it is just personal preference. That's fine but I was wondering if you had some inside scoop on accuracy of the sensors etc. My personal preference would be to not have to set timing in the engine bay and just do it on the computer. I think that is more accurate since it takes the best guess with a timing light out of the loop. To each their own though.

everyone that has a 95-96 style seem to go to a 1g CAS as its external and easy to change instead of removing all the timing components. also allows for the adjustment. the 97-99 are external and many who really mod their car go to a 1g CAS as well.

from RRE
    This also means any Turbo 2G can use the 1G CAS on a stock motor to adjust the base timing. Timing can be used for good as well as evil. Increase your timing correctly and you can improve pull everywhere while lowering EGT levels. A modest increase of +3 to +5 deg on pump gas is good with minimal risk. Race gas means more safety margin to burn, so more timing to increase.

also by running the 1g CAS you dont need the crank postion sensor either, so no removing the timing belt to replace any sensors ever again

also from Magnus
    Using this fix will also alleviate the weak timing that has always plagued the 2G's (4-6 degrees retarded on the
    95-96, 97-up is very timing sensitive to airflow based on turbo size, but base idle timing can be adjusted)
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 10-23-2011 at 11:14 AM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

So 1g CAS and head 2g ecu

If I did run a 1g ecu I would need the entire wiring harness and sensors correct?
    I'm not asking if that last question is common or advised just if its possible. If it can be
    done I'm confident I can do it

I can tap the audio and other electronics
    Last edited by master_visionary; 10-23-2011 at 11:06 AM

Me I'm a lil of both

2g ecu, 1g or 2g head doesnt matter, 1g CAS, 2g coil packs and transistor

YOU CAN'T RUN A 1G ECU AT ALL AS YOU ARE OBD2 1GS ARE OBD1. THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Where cause the way the codes are arranged between obd 1&2 are different but if I use the ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS it should run fine it would just be an obd1 car then

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    Where cause the way the codes are arranged between obd 1&2 are different but if I use the ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS it should run fine it would just be an obd1 car then
    The entire harness won't be plug and play. Some of the chassis wiring is tied into the Galant harness so you'll have to build a custom harness no matter what. For the 1g ecu this is much uglier, even on the 94 Galant, and you would have to switch to OBD1 on top of that. I built my own 1g ECU harness for my OBD1.5 1994 car and I can tell you it was a huge pain in the ass. If I were to do it again I'd update the car to OBDII and go with a newer ECU. Everything would have been much cleaner and easier that way. I might still do it and ditch my current setup.